store other file formats in Research folder

It would be nice if I could store other file formats, eg Word Documents or Excel spreadsheets, in the Research folder. When I drag an Excel file onto the Research folder, the file should be copied into the .scriv package and listed with an Excel icon and the filename in the Research folder. Clicking on the file should open it in Excel (or the respective external application). Saving it in Excel should affect the copy stored in the .scriv package.

I find this would be more intuitive than having to store Excel or Word files in the reference pane. Also the link in the reference pane breaks when I rename the file or move it, which would not happen if it is kept within Scrivener like the PDF and RTF files.

Thanks!
Andreas

Hi,

I’m afraid that Scrivener is not intended as a data-basing app, which is why this functionality does not exist, and will not exist in any 1.x release. Sorry.

Thanks for your input and all the best,
Keith

What would be the feasibility of using Mac’s aliases to accomplish reference links? An alias could be created inside of the project file, and Scrivener would act as a wrapper for it, following the link to the original resource when requested. This would delegate the tracking problem to the alias system, which is pretty good at keeping files linked when moved or altered.

No, no, no. :slight_smile: Besides which, this really goes against the OP’s suggestion, as I understand it, which was based around the idea of having files preserved inside Scrivener’s package.

The whole philosophy is really that Scrivener only holds files that it can display - the binder displays the .scriv file’s real contents, all of which can be opened within the app. Then, the References pane can hold a reference to everything (Project References are coming with 1.04, as I say).

Best,
Keith

Then how about storing a link to the original file in the Research folder instead of the References pane. My idea of the research folder is that is contains all the stuff I need to have around while working on the text of this project. I always forget about the documents I put into the reference pane.

This should be very easy to do since the functionality is already there (in the Reference pane). And people who prefer the Reference pane could still use it as before.

Would that be feasible? Thanks
Andreas

No, sorry - the binder just shows the actual contents of the project. It would be self-defeating to have the binder show references and have a references pane. Their purposes are different, like I say. And again, as of 1.04, there is a project-wide references pane.

The whole idea of the binder is that it shows you documents that are stored within the project and be opened inside Scrivener - anything else is a reference. If the binder held reference to non-project files, it would suddenly be acting as more of an archiver or reference manager, which was not the original intention.

Best,
Keith