When starting my MacBook I get a weird Java console report that seems to be automatically generated by Scrivener.
The text written in the report is in French and is starts like this :
Last login: Fri Mar 27 10:50:00 on ttys004
XXX@mbp-de-XX~ % /Applications/Scrivener.app/Contents/Resources/jre/bin/java ; exit;
I did reinstall Scrivener but the console report still shows up every time I start the computer.
I may add that I experienced some unexpected crashes with Scrivener a couple of weeks ago but now I no longer have problems with the software. Nevertheless I’m pretty sure these Java console reports started to appear after the crashes.
This is a minor issue since it doesn’t seem to be associated with actual bugs but I wonder if it may be a symptom of something not working properly.
I don’t know the answer to that one as I’m just a use—though with over 12 years experience of Scrivener—not one of the developers, nor even a programmer. Let’s hope someone with more knowledge of Java comes along to help. Or you could take out a support ticket with the team.
I’m not at my computer at the moment, so I’m afraid I can’t check, but I think you can email firstname.lastname@example.org, givin the URL of this thread as well as explaining your problem.
What version of Mac OS, and what version of Scrivener?
Scrivener uses Java-based converters for some file formats. The way Mac OS handles Java virtual machines has changed over the years, and as a result Scrivener has had to change how it invokes those converters to compensate.
So what you’re seeing may be normal, but it’s impossible to say without more information.
Thanks to everyone for the help.
I tried a couple of procedures you guys described, but they didn’t work even after uninstalling Java (which was really weird).
I have reached Scrivener support and they came up with the actual solution.
I went to the system preferences and checked what program were set to launch when starting up the Mac.
I found out there was a Java plugin in the there that stuck even after Java was uninstalled, and I deleted it.
The console report has never showed up again since then.
Thanks again for all the suggestions.