Styling: Applying is not the same as saved custom style

I create a new style based on some select text that is formatted the way I want.
I then select some new text and try to apply my custom text to the selection.
Not all the saved styling applies and I have to manually make corrections.

Maybe I am not creating the styling correctly?
Maybe the styling can only be one line?
Maybe styling with outline format is not supported?

Something else?

Make sure you saved the style as the right type.
My guess in your case : “Save all formatting”.
Then there is the two font’s checkbox right underneath. Familly and size.
This should work.

As per " outline" in your post : if you meant outlined font, and you run Scrivener under Windows, my experience is that it’s best avoided, as it seems to be cause of mouse and graphics stuttering and lag.
Every time I used it I ended up with issues with the project on a global scale. (Not just with one document.)

Maybe I am not creating the styling correctly? I think you do.
Maybe the styling can only be one line? A Paragraph Style affects a Paragraph, a Character Style affects a subset of a paragraph. (which may be one line)
Maybe styling with outline format is not supported? If you mean the Outliner View Mode: no: Styles only affect text in the Editor. Appearance settings for the Outliner have concequences for the look of text in the Outliner View Mode.

1 Like

To take a third look at another interpretation for what “outline format” might mean: are you referring to the bullet/enumerated listing thing that can be done in the editor? Format ▸ List ▸ 1. 2. 3. for example?

If so, they aren’t super well supported by styles, no (mainly just expect the paragraph attributes to stick, like indent/tab stops). If we intended for that to work better we probably would have done like most word processors do, and have a separate style category just for list styles, distinct from paragraph and character styles.

Unfortunately it wasn’t one of those things we could easily do. Styles are basically an “overlay”, on top of the text engine, which is what provides the bullets natively. We have limited control of the latter on Windows, and pretty much no control on Mac. Thus a style might change how the underlying stuff looks, but to actually drive how it works would require reinventing the bullet code entirely, I would suspect, and that would be a rather major undertaking.

This is also hard to interpret without more context. If you mean at the point of definition, then yes there is only one small spot out of your selection that pulls all of the formatting from. I’d have to double-check but it’s either the edge along the beginning or end of the selected range of text. And of course without a selection, it uses the cursor position.

Otherwise, if you mean at the point of application, then no. You can apply a style to thousands of paragraphs at once. Even character styles can span across multiple paragraphs.

Amber,

Thanks for the reply.

I will check how I am saving styles again per your suggestions and directives.

I also reviewed the videos again and see some changes I may need to make in my process.

When I say “Outline”, I mean like this:

A Topic
1. Item One
- Sub One
-Sub Two
2. Item Two
3. Item Three

Maybe what I am really looking for is creating custom templates I can inject into a project item?

Thanks,

-John

Yeah, that’s what I meant by an enumerated list. It’s just a simple feature that as noted is largely provided by the text engine. As noted above, in Scrivener the main outlining feature is at the binder level. That is where one is meant to build detailed conceptual outlines of either things they want to write, or just to take notes on something.

But, if you need these as part of your content, what will be something the readers sees, then yes, having some kind of stored setup somewhere that you could select, right-click and “Append to document” is probably best. You could consider putting these into an outline item called “Starter Lists”, and then use the Documents ▸ Add to Project Bookmarks menu command. This will make it more readily available, in particular from the inspector sidebar on the right, via the Bookmarks tab (second from left).