I don’t know if this will help anybody, but I finally got my Scrivener/Word/Bookends workflow to export my 500 pg heavily annotated manuscript. I wanted Bookends unique id citations for export, but also non-printing links back to Bookends to connect to my original documents and research.
What worked: I paste the Unique Reference from Bookends into Scrivner’s (unlinked, grey here) Inline Footnote format, and then add a helpful link to the Bookends citation with Scrivener’s Inline Annotation format (red here).
This required some fancy key-stokes jumping back and forth each time I placed a citation (1,700 times!) but it worked.
It looks ridiculous writing it out but the process for each note was:
Place cursor where you want the note in Scrivener.
Click Shift-Cmd-F to prepare its Inline Footnote Format.
Switch to Bookends. Highlight the reference in Bookends.
Click Cmd-Y to past the Unique Bookends ID back in Scrivener.
Click Shift-Cmd-A in Scrivener to format the coming Inline Annotation
Back in Bookends click Shift-Cmd-L to place the bookends link for the citation.
I’m sure a script could have saved me hours.
Now I compile in Scrivener and include the Footnotes but exclude the Annotations. Works pretty good.
(I did have some initial trouble with Bookends’ Scan Document script. It didn’t work because amongst so many citations I was missing several } close-curly-brackets. Once that was fixed it is processing my 500 page manuscript flawlessly.)