Support for free writer/pi like zero distraction tools

So… I think there could be a use case for:

Using one of those free write traveler-like devices such as: https://www.instructables.com/FeatherQuill-34-Hours-of-Distraction-Free-Writing/

Which is basically an ARM based pi using linux (AFAIK).

There are three ways I could see in how L&L could support devices like these:
1.) A stripped down command line version of Scrivener focused on just typing your story.

2.) A local server that a user can run on their machine that allows for taking an rtf, and doing the xml modification needed to inject/replace a scene in the scrivener novel.

3.) An API/Hook (Like say Applescript/Automater) that lets someone else integrate it, and just has the ability to execute a “Insert Scene” into Document.

The Sync with External Folder functionality makes a Scrivener project available as a folder full of RTF files. So you can “insert scene” by creating a document in that folder with the editor of your choice.

Thanks! Is there documentation about this feature I can look at?

(It seems like 100% what I was looking for :slight_smile: )

Look in the manual for whichever version of Scrivener you have. It will be in the chapter called (I think) “Scrivener Everywhere.”

Search your PDF for §14.3, Synchronised Folders, and that should bring you straight to it.

I would note that with a WordGrinder sort of workflow one might want to steer toward Scrivener’s Markdown support on the whole. It’ll mean flawless transfer between systems since formatting = text, and we have a lot of support for turning such material into a variety of useful formats when it comes time to compile, either via the embedded MultiMarkdown conversion, or Pandoc if it is installed. That is unless it supports RTF and I missed it, I just saw ODT though, and we don’t support that on sync since we require the use of slow Java-based converter to read/write those. It would cripple sync times.

Folder sync can be set up to produce .txt, even with a custom extension like ‘.md’. That’s exactly how I use it.

Do I have to worry about Mac vs Windows vs UNIX line ending fun with txt files?

That depends entirely on the .txt editor you use, but in my experience, most these days handle that distinction seamlessly and it rarely comes up as an issue. If Mac is your main combo then it’s even less of a concern since the notion of there being a specific Mac txt line ending hasn’t been a thing since the '90s. It uses UTF-8 UNIX text format.