Tables width problem when compiling to word docx

Hello Everyone,

I am writing a textbook that uses a lot of tables, I adjusted the widths I wanted in Scrivener. When I compiled it to docx, all the tables became equal widths. It erased my table settings. On pdf though it looks fine. There are too many tables to go back and readjust manually all the widths. :question:

I need to export to docx so I can do more work on the text -create indexes etc. Am I missing a box to check or something in the compiling window? Thank you for your advice.

Unfortunately you are not missing much. Table output in Scrivener is fairly rudimentary. For simple purposes it should be fine, but I like to think of it as being more of a rough tool than one of finesse, and that one should save the final formatting of tables for their last compilation.

Thank you for the response,

I’ve only done 10 or so pages like this so I can go back now and think of another way to approach my problem, may display it differently etc. or be resigned to manually adjusting 100 tables after compiling. Other then this, Scrivener has been great with keeping all my research easy to get to while writing. :slight_smile:

Kim M.

I think I’ve found a work around for the tables (although might cause other problems will have to see).

I compile as an rtf then open in page or word. Then I save or export as a doc file. The widths look retained. :smiley:

Excellent. It could be a problem with our third-party .doc/x converter then. Generally speaking RTF is the best choice out of Scrivener. There are times when one really needs a binary Word file (mobile office suites are the main thing, as well as Apple Pages, which doesn’t import RTF at all now). For Word, Libre/OpenOffice, Nisus Writer Pro, Mellel, and well… just about every word processor on the planet, RTF is a good format to use as it is Scrivener’s native format.