Targets Word Count

Is there a way to set a word count target for a daily session rather than for a document? or is that too impractical? What I would want ideally is to know how by how many words my draft has increased (or decreased!) today or this week. It’s not really helpful to set a target for a particular scene because, until I write it, I don’t know how long it needs to be. But I would be interested in having an easy way to target producing a certain number of words per day or week.

OMG I found it…and I’ve written 84 words in 2 1/2 hours. Yikes! :blush: I guess I should be careful what I wish for.

Question - where did you find daily word count? All I can find is the session wordcount, which is nice, but resets every time I close Scrivener. I work on 3 different computers, so it’s hard to just keep the session open, I’m afraid, and a daily word count would be convenient!

There’s not an option yet for the daily count–I’m guessing the OP just keeps the project open for the duration of the day. This will be coming down the road, however, along with some additional options to refine what gets counted when.

Awww, too bad. Well, I’ll just have to keep adding then, for now.

Thanks for the quick reply. I’ll look forward to seeing this feature!

Two things that may help, depending how you work:

1. You can load multiple documents in a Scrivenings session and see the total word count for the combined scenes in the editor footer.

2. You can turn on the “Total Word Count” column in the outliner and get a total word count for a container’s subdocuments summed with its own text. (That is, if you have a document with subdocuments, for instance, the document’s total word count will be its word count plus the word count of each subdoc.)

If you start a new document each day, even if you write multiple new documents that day, these tools might help you get a quick overview.