Text will not wrap in Inspector/Synopsis Field even with custom metadata settings correct

Hello!

I’ve seen several threads about text wrapping, but most are old and do not address this particular issue anyway.

My problem isn’t connected to outliner (vs. other) views or wrapping text around an image. I simply can’t get the text to wrap at all. I’ve read the Scrivener PDF manual and watched the tutorial. I successfully went into Custom Metadata, created a file called “Text,” and then checked off the “Wrap” button. I also went to the general Project Settings tab to confirm the same outcome.

However, when I went back to the Synopsis field and started typing, the text just ran right off the right margin again. It didn’t do this with my first Scrivener project. Wrapping worked fine. But I can’t get it to stick here. I’ve tried deleting whole projects and re-creating them from scratch. I’ve also rebooted and checked for updates. None of it works.

I’m running Scrivener 3.2.3 on a MacBook Pro (16-inch, 2021) with macOS Monterey 12.6.

Thanks much!
Tom

Hello.

Attached—at the end of this post—is a sample project of just one page that contains a synopsis and some custom metadata.

On my Mac, the text wraps in both the synopsis and metadata fields. Does the same text wrap when you open and view the project?

Source project
wrapping.zip (49.4 KB)

1 Like

Thank you for answering so quickly. It did indeed wrap, yes—in both fields!

I thought it would be good to pass along the solution I discovered on my own this morning … just in case anyone else has the same problem and reads this thread.

It seems to relate to where you place the cursor in the Synopsis field. If you put it right at the top of the box, i.e., on the first available line, the typeface is bold and the text won’t wrap. (That was the issue I confronted before.)

However, if you click the cursor just below that, the typeface is normal (not bold) and the text wraps as it should. I assume this distinction exists because Scrivener expected a (short) title on the first line, with extended text to follow below.

Kindly,
Tom

There’s a reason for this. It’s because if you use that very top line, you’re adding a title to a document, not editing its synopsis.

If you’d like, there’s a switch in preferences(options)/appearances/Index cards that will let you see two lines of title in the corkboard, at least. But it won’t show but one in the Inspector panel.