The documents in the new tutorial can NOT be converted to the default text formatting.

The documents in the new tutorial(b21) can NOT be converted to the default text formatting.
I tried maybe 15 documents and it didn’t work in any of them. Nothing changes.

My other v3 projects work as expected. It looks like the issue affects only the tutorial.

Regards,
M

I can confirm that — good spot.

It looks like it may be connected to the same bug which doesn’t allow you to select all the text in a scrivening, because I can convert single documents with no problem, but not when I’ve selected more than one.

I can’t convert even a single document.

All I did was the usual: cursor in the editor, alt-dc and accept the defaults on the subsequent dialogue. It converts the single document every time, but not multiple documents. This is on the latest tutorial.

Those are exactly my actions. Nothing happens. I’m also on the latest tutorial.

That’s odd. Single doc conversion definitely works for me.

Have you turned off the tutorial project’s formatting, in Project Settings, or am I misunderstanding that this is where you are making the change and it isn’t working?

I suspect @krastev’s difficulty is pointing towards the problems I’ve been noting with conversion, but I also think @Amber V that you have the solution in your reply to me.

I’ll answer that and the other commenters tomorrow – it’s late here…

…nobody said real use design was the slightest bit easy, did they

Best,
Clive

OK… now it’s working.

I turned off the project formating as suggested, and now I can convert the documents to the default text formatting, but I don’t see why this is the case.

I wasn’t trying to convert NEW documents to the default formatting, but one of the existing ones, and as can be seen in the screenshot, the options says ‘Use different formatting for NEW documents in this project:’

What am I missing here?

Regards,
M

You might want to flip to the “Default Formatting” section, in the tutorial. It covers what default formatting means, what the conversion menu command is meant to cover, how this project setting works—and lastly that the tutorial itself is set to use that option. :slight_smile:

It’s the same exact logic used for the Editing: Formatting tab. You set up what paragraph and character formatting to use when you press Ctrl+N in any project, there. Old items won’t have their formatting blown away if you change those settings, which is what the conversion command is for: your way of opting in to those updates on existing files.

The only thing this panel adds in project settings is the ability to override the formatting for both of those actions (creating new stuff; converting old stuff), for a particular project.

Thank you.

I’m aware of the options you are reffering to, but I still don’t understand why the ‘Use different formatting for NEW documents in this project:’ option affects the conversion of the eny existing document.

To be clear, here what I do and what goes wrong in my opinion:

If the option ‘Use different formatting for NEW documents in this project:’ is CHECKED:
In any existing document I press Documents > Convert > Text to Default Formatting… – Nothing happens
My understanding is that it should convert the document to the default formatting as set in Options > Editing > Formatting , no?

If the option ‘Use different formatting for NEW documents in this project:’ is UNCHEKED:
In any existing document I press Documents > Convert > Text to Default Formatting… – The text is converted as it should be to the defaults set in Options > Editing > Formatting

Thanks,
M

I did some experimenting and figure it out.

When checked, the option in Project Settings > Formatting > ‘Use different formatting for NEW documents in this project:’
Affects not only the NEW documents as its name states but also the existing documents conversion.

Thank you all for the clarification.

Regards,
M