The hero's journey template

Very nice of you to post this. Thanks so much. I’m new to Scrivener and this forum, but this was a great find.

Arnie… 8)

You welcome, enjoy…

Me, will have to put the novel on hold for a while… been using it to write it.

But right now have time to write ten minutes here, and five there, so writing an RPG book (that needs to be done anyway)

:smiley:

Then:

I am not sure regarding the “Myth Form” reference. It sounds like this was part of another template, but for the life of me I can’t find it.

Would someone please clarify?

Thanks!!

I was referring to a two part template that I had posted (among others) in the Templates folder. It was a Master Fiction Template. It represented many hundreds of hours of work over many years as a professional writer all condensed into a Scrivener Template. I took down all of the templates I had contributed, including this one when the application went fully commercial.

My prerogative. I don’t want all my work floating freely around the internet for no return. The templates served their purpose during beta development. Keith’s main idea, i think, was that you, as a Scrivener owner, could make your own templates. I wanted to demonstrate how useful and versatile templates could be - and how easy it was to construct them. Job done.

You have lost nothing. They were meant for a very few beta developers while Keith was building Scrivener.

I will repeat. I do not want my work out on the internet for free. I invested a lifetime putting it together. It is a professional and teaching compilation of resources. It is not for general release.

The reference that nadinbrzezinski was making was to this material. It included a fully developed template (among others) of what nadinbrzezinski calls the Hero’s Journey - based on the references to Joseph Campbell’s original source material.

nadinbrzezinski has produced a brief outline version of the original source and the actual template included in the Master Fiction Template i had originally posted. nadinbrzezinski’s template is entirely adequate. You can easily flesh it out to suit your own needs. Just double check it - the first iteration nadinbrzezinski did missed a couple of critical chapters set out in Joseph Campbells original work. nadinbrzezinski may have now corrected that. I’m not sure.

Hope that helps.
:slight_smile:

Thanks for clarifying that – I just saw a reference to a template, and couldn’t figure out which template was being referred to. [Danger! Dangling preposition!]

work, go watch In the Name of the King: A Dragon Siege Tale… I am sure some of you will have the same reaction I did… I could almost tell what was coming based on Campbell’s work. But it is so well done, that most viewers will truly and completely miss that this is “following a formula.”

Why this is an extremely good example of the Path of the Hero…

What is more, if you are a fan of DnD like movies, this is a good dungeon crawl, and unlike the DnD movie, I could not tell when the hero leveled.

I can’t get this to work. My Mac sees it as a Quicktime Movie. Any thoughts on how to get this? Thanks for making it regardless.

If nadinbrzezinski opens the file then saves it to the desktop, then zips it, and reposts the zipped project - not the template, then you can open the project and save it as a template yourself.

I did this for Inkygirl at literatureandlatte.com/forum … 7&start=15

with the comic project from antony.

I suspect the problem might be an anomaly in leopard. 10.5.2 may fix it.

:slight_smile:

a brilliant template! Thank you for providing this!

I’m another who can’t get the file to open because it thinks it’s a movie file.

What should I do?

No idea, may be a problem with Leopard

And I am still fairly new to the Mac… don’t think I can send it to the WIN machine and reupload

I would suggest:

1. verify the spelling of the extension
  2. drag it on top of the icon for Scrivener to launch it, or
  3. Right click (option-click for those with only one button) and select “Open With…Scrivener” from the pull-down menu.

Those are general Mac tips, not anything I have tried with this particular malfunction.

Scrivener won’t open .scrtpl files in that way. They need to be saved into the ~/Library/Application Support/ProjectTemplates folder and then selected when you go through New Project in Scrivener.
Best,
Keith

I know this is an old post, but I’m hoping someone can lend me a hand. Is there a way to import The Hero’s Journey template into the last Scrivener? The file extension .scrtpl won’t open. It needs to be .scrvtemp. Any help would be appreciated, thank you!
Marisa

I think you’d have to create a project from it in the V1 version, then convert it.
I could give it a try later today.

If meanwhile you manage to make it work, please post the new result. This is interesting.

There are a few posts related to Hero’s Journey Templates on the forums, eg. this one. And of course there are a few templates out there on the internet.

As @Vincent_Vincent says, the one referenced in this post is Mac Scriv v1. I would suggest you find and try some of the other Hero templates, as that would likely be faster than waiting for someone to load Scriv from 2 versions ago–if that’s even possible on modern Mac O/S–to convert the template in this thread.

Best,
Jim

1 Like

I failed. The template, it seems, isn’t compatible with V1 for Windows.

Plus: (it was a bad idea to reinstall that legacy version on top of 3.1.4 and the beta.) :grimacing::rofl:

1 Like

Thank you! I’ve been trying to find a windows template, not much luck so far. But thank you for your help!

1 Like

Thank you anyway! I shall continue my search.

Thank you for your help!