****THE ILIAD!!**** HELP

Why does Helen wish she had been swept away by the storm on the day of her birth?
How do her words reveal the difference between her and her husband, Paris?

Guess who’s got a paper due tomorrow?

This site may be helpful: classicspage.com/

Would you believe? Someone using the same name has posted the same question in another part of the forum. I think you should retain an attorney, and investigate a claim for identity theft.

Or maybe it’s plagiarism I’m thinking of…

Phil

[Not the same question, of course, but one which might, in an alternate universe, have been posed on the same quiz.]

Hi Katie,
Happy to help you in your pursuit here.

Helen wishes she had been swept away by the storm on the day of her birth because it turned out that the storm actually swept the people it swept away not so much “away” as to a wonderful tropical paradise where everyone could eat snack cakes all day and never get fat. They also were treated to free drinks with umbrellas in them.
Helen only learned this many years later after being diagnosed with a severe form of elephantism. You can well understand her wish, I expect, in retrospect.

Her words, “I’m over here, you’re over there, you jerk…” reveal a geographic difference between her and her husband, Paris.

I hope these notes have been helpful.

That is such a naive, one-dimensional, literal interpretation of the dialogue. There are far more layers to it than that.

She was actually making a socio-political comment on the French Revolution, which was taking place at about the same time, and in a slightly different place.

Katie, I think the treatment you are receiving here is a little unsavoury, so I have done some further research on the inter-web for you, which roughly equates to my own interpretation when I last chilled to the Iliad on my iPod:

It is a reliable source, mendosa.com/history.html
The website is managed by an English-History teacher.

Matt

Whats an Iliad ?

Is it a tool that you hit things with or an opportunity to say Aeneas (anus) to your teacher on several occasions ?

Paul

We get that opportunity in science all the time!

Well, iliac would be from the Latin for entrails, so an Iliad would certainly be some sort of major advertising campaign for these entrails.

–Greg

P.S. Poor Katie.

So is the iliac similar to the sacred illiac which is worshipped all over the world ?

Going off on a tangent. This interweb thing could become quite big. I mean we could buy books or book holidays on it. I wonder if anybody else has thought of that ?

Paul

Who owes a debt, of course, to Sellar and Yeatman’s 1066 and all that, which popularized the art of condensing the memorable parts of history from developing little minds, and making money from it.

When you get to the Odyssey part of your course, you might want to rent O Brother Where Art Thou. It’s quite faithful to the book, and has lots of toe-tapping tunes that will become mnemonically useful in exams.

Katie,
Youll have to post your question to an all female forum`, if you want a sensible answer.

I think all of the answers so far are posted by males. Its not that males are incapable of the occassional sensible response. Its just a simple fact of life and nothing more: No man has ever been able to figure out, how a woman`s mind works.

Hope this helps

Take care

Vic

PS Actually Katie, when I look now, at some of the responders, you really are flogging a dead horse

I don’t know about that… I’m female, and my answer was so silly that I chickened out of pressing the Submit button. :wink:

Siren,

Only a fool would post a silly, answer to Katie`s question, especially knowing it would languish conspicuously, amidst a plethora of brilliant male intellectual endeavour.

But you see, sweet Siren, you posses both, the wit, and the wisdom, NOT to press the Submit button. That is where the female intllect differs from the male`s.

Vic :slight_smile: