The status of the next update and 2.0

I have recently purchased Scrivener and I am very pleased with its features. I would pay for an update with absolutely no quibbling.

This seemingly endless parade of fawning drivel needs one or some of:

1. An antidote
  2. A refreshingly acerbic counterpoint
  3. A large glass of good pinot noir
  4. To come to an end.

For god’s sake, Keith, write your bloody book. Only when it’s published will I pay for an upgrade…

Perhaps a public synopsis would suffice?

:wink:

Keith,

You’ve not only created one of the most valuable and useful applications on any platform (in my opinion), but you’ve also nurtured a thriving on-line community! After reading many posts, it’s quite apparent that you are well loved and supported. Just the fact that you’d even care about our reaction shows how personally connected you are to Scrivener users. This is the opposite of so many other software developers that keep cranking out new bug-ridden bloated features just to keep the revenue engine churning. Scrivener is a polished work of art. I’d be glad to contribute, at any time. And you certainly deserve compensation for your work.

Charge what you will - my credit card is ready and waiting. It’s a beautiful piece of software and the idea of paying for Version 2 will be a pleasure.

I nearly bought a netbook today, to use as my out-and-about computer, instead of the Macbook. But the one thing that stopped me buying it was knowing I’d have to lose Scrivener. Which was a no-way José compromise. So, in a way, you’ve just saved me a couple hundred pounds. So thanks for that.

And Happy New Year too.

Paid or not paid, I just want my L&L 2.0. Keep up the good work Scrivener.

I add my voice to the throng proclaiming that $20 for a 2.0 upgrade is just fine with me. Go on wit’ yo bad self.

OK, then:

Shoot, shoot.

Done.

Sorry, I missed :wink:

On the other hand, paying USD20 for an upgrade is a bargain, I guess I can only add one zillionth of a cent to the price of my next blockbuster to compensate for it.

Anyway, happy New Year. Keep on the good work.

Toralf

Huh, I somehow missed this one last year.
Two comments on your devious plan to raise your monthly household income: instead of announcing the price of the update using a commonly agreed upon irrelevant ex-colonists currency you should use something more stylish: rupies, rubles - something starting with ‘r’ seems to be nice, I think.

More important: do you know how often I checked for an update since you released 1.12b? And now you are sitting there, fat, happy and grinning, telling me this was for nuthing? The time spent, the bits sent and all for naught…

I’m currently trialling scriv right now and its EASILY worth 40 bucks.
You say for another 20 we’ll get Page Layout as well?
Go for it. I think when EVERYONE on the board says ‘go for it’, you can rest assured you’re making the right decision.

Can you, however, please ensure that 2.0 will still run on Tiger? I’m kinda stuck on Tiger for the foreseable future.

I recently began using Scriv after downloading it some months ago after reading a review in, I think, PC Mag or PC World, can’t remember. What I can say is “Wow.” I still have 20+ days left on my trial, but I’m not waiting. As soon as I finish this post am going to purchase. I was describing the program to my wife this morning, and thinking how valuable it is to me. Will be well worth another 20 bucks for upgrade. Excellent work needs compensated and I am happy to do so. I am working on my second book, already have solid ideas for numbers 3 & 4, and your software is allowing me to sit at my Mac and cruise. I will still do some pen and paper, but for the first time I believe I can sit at the keyboard and write. If anyone is too upset (which from the comments I have read they would be in the minority), then they must not realize how projects develop from the planning stage to final product. Personally I much appreciate your candor and the way you have approached the improvements and communicating the process to potential subscribers. I am a Windows refugee and over the past year have been making the transition to my Mac. Scrivener is one of many positives that makes me ever happier that I am almost complete in the transition. Sorry if I sound like “Polly-Anna” but I am not a flatterer. Really just want to say atta-boy and thanks. Gotta go buy this thing now.

Absolutely go for it!

I completed my first 2 books in a slightly muddled pile of papers and files and bookmarked webpages, and procrastinated terribly. Book 3 is still a year off, but thanks to Scrivener, I’ve already started on the research.

I only found it a couple of weeks ago, and I fell in love within minutes. I’d have bought it at twice the price. And thanks to this forum, I’ve now discovered Dropbox too. The year’s looking better and better. Keep up the good work!

At the moment, I don’t think there are any plans to drop Tiger support.

Just surfacing from the New Year’s martinis and discovered this thread tonight.

I categorically REFUSE to pay $20 for Scrivener 2.0. A paltry $20???!!! Pshaw! The MINIMUM I am prepared to hand over is $30. And even that I am not totally comfortable with. Do I hear $35?? $40??

(It was cheap enough to begin with, Keith. You really need to come out of the financial gutter. If Bernie Madoff can do it, so can you. :slight_smile: )

MM ready with her visa card, just say the word…

Since Scrivener is already worth several times what I paid for it, I have no problem ante-ing up for an upgrade. Keep up the good work.

John

Glad to see you’ve come around. Notice that we WANT to pay you to do great work. You can always put two prices on your store page-- a ‘student etc’ price and a list price, then let the people pay what they think appropriate by clicking on the link they choose. Also, if you make any major interface changes, but can easily have a ‘classic’ view, please do. If you can actually make some money at this, you can hire people to help you out. You know, grow the business sort of thing.

Sounds great! I just hope Kayembi agrees :slight_smile:

I do. :slight_smile: At the moment the plans are to keep Tiger fully supported for 2.0. The only reason this would change is if supporting Snow Leopard and Tiger becomes problematic, but I can’t foresee any reason why this should be the case. Although there’s a long way to go for 2.0 to run properly on Tiger yet as I’ve been testing it on Leopard, from a coding perspective everything has been designed to run on Tiger as well.

Thanks for all the kind comments! Crikey again…
All the best,
Keith
(Who currently has no grasp of temporal reality thanks to the eight hour time difference here in San Francisco…)

Go for it - I’ll be happy to put my money where my mouth is (although that really tastes awful, and God knows what I might catch).

APPY NEW YEAR SHEILA!! since when ave you been worried about what you put in your mouth?

I second the request to maintain Tiger support with 2.0. Even if it’s a year until the big release, I’m afraid I’m stuck with my Tiger machine for twice that time unless something unforeseen happens in my near future. :slight_smile:

I also repeat the sentiment of others that a paid upgrade is not only fine, it is warranted. I have the (perhaps unfortunate) attitude that most software is not worth the asking price. Scrivener does not fall into that category. I’ve even taken to becoming somewhat of a Scrivener evangelist.

At a time when most of our lives are usually lacking in blessings, I feel blessed to have a tool like Scrivener available at an affordable price, and doubly blessed that it is still being improved.