The tabs

I’m sorry; I’ve researched but am so overwhelmed! I have written my entire manuscript (288 pages) but am struggling to set the tabs when compiling! I have my document broken down into Chapters, and then Scenes. I don’t think I could’ve done this without this awesome product! I, too, am of the old school, where I automatically, without thinking, TAB to indent a paragraph. When I compile, the tabs, when I’ve compiled, and exported, jut in ten to fifteen spaces. I have tried NOT tabbing, adjusting the ruler in every single scene (Oh my gosh, it took hours), and removing all spaces at the beginning of the paragraph. I can’t get past this and it is so bothering me. IS THERE AN EASY WAY TO SET TABS as PARAGRAPH INDENTIONS?

Since you’re on Windows:
First off: Select a document, click into the Editor and select Format > Make Default Formatting.
Then:
For all projects: Select File > Options > Editing > Formatting. On the Ruler, drag the First Line Indent marker (the top marker with the downward point) the distance you’d like your paragraphs to start.
Or:
For a specific project only: Select Project > Project Settings > Formatting and follow the same as above further.

Next: Select all your scenes in the Binder.
Next: Select Documents > Convert > Text to Default Formatting (when you adjusted the First Line Indent in one of the options above, it became/adjusted your default formatting.)
Follow the menu options carefully as you wouldn’t want to destroy any Paragraph Styles you may have set up.
Recommendation: Try it on one document first. If satisfied, proceed to the rest in bulk (selecting multiple Scenes in the Binder).

4 Likes

In addition to the advice above for cleaning up your formatting to indents, a nice menu command to know of is Edit ▸ Text Tidying ▸ Strip Leading Tabs. Run that after you finish typing up a section, if you think you might have habitually added some by mistake.

4 Likes

Amber is text tidying limited to one document at a time, or can you use in multiple if in Scrivenings view?

Kevit and Amber. Woo-hoo! THANK U! I’m still confused on how it’s going to compile, but these tools have helped me at least see my document like I want to!
Much obliged.

2 Likes