This is a forum upgrade?

Thank you! I had not checked all the preferences yet. Way better now. I have to switch to my iPhone right now to see if it works there too.

I just wonder why I wasn’t aware of the size setting. Are all the other Discourse forums I visit set to Largest by default or is it just my memory?

Don’t forget (and many people do) you can change the the font size in your OSX browser (in Safari under the View menu option or there are special keys). On IOS iphone Safari, use the “aA” icon upper left corner.

Font size not in total control of the web site.

The My Posts page is not meant to be a master list of everything you’ve ever done, but only a filtering of those things you’ve opted to pay attention to (either through participation or other means) that have changed since you last were last around. You can tell what is read or unread by the link colour.

If you really want to see everything you’ve posted within a category then search for #Scrivener @drmajorbob . You can get half of that by starting the search from the category page you’re interested in.

And it’s worth noting that if you want a master list of everything, that’s in the Activity tab of your profile, accessible from the avatar menu.

It does also look like if you access My Posts without any category filtering, that may be more comprehensive, and similar to viewing Activity in your profile.

Well, I’m still less than “Wow”-ed, but I’m more caffeinated today and less grumpy, so I decided to check back in and see if my bear-poking resulted in some useful commentary.

I can see this morning how the forum could actually make things easier for everyone, myself included.

But regarding your comment that “There should be no loss in granularity”, there was only one category when I first checked before posting my rant (support, I believe) which didn’t offer much confidence.

So, today there are more categories, but where did they come from? Were they added by L&L or can users do their own tagging? (If that’s the case, I’m cynical about any useful consistency in the long run. What one user might tag as “Issue” another might tag as “Issues”. Or “Complaint”.

At least these tags can be searched, especially in light of the fact that the list could get quite lengthy and is in no way sorted.

Edit: Another pet peeve is when I am in the Scrivener forum, in the Scrivener for Windows sub-forum, and click on the Latest button, I have a bunch of pinned posts with nothing new in them. It would be nice to have the option to hide them too, if there’s no new content (some of that stuff’s over a decade—a decade!—old.

I’m not sure why you only saw one tag yesterday. It could be the forum software was still indexing things in the background when you checked. It may also be that it was a filtered view and only showing relevant tags in the list?

The way we have things set up is that to create a new post in one of the software support areas, you must select from a short list of tags which include such things as “support”, “bug”, “feedback” and so on. After you do that, the rest of the tag pool is provided and you can provide further specificity if you want. So maybe, “support,ebook,compile”.

At the moment, tagging can only be done from an existing pool. We’ll expand that ourselves over time, and once someone has spent enough time to build a high level of reputation, they’ll be able to create new tags too. We restricted tag creation in that manner for the reason you bring up—not only might two different people describe the same type of issue differently, but there are typos to consider, etc. It would probably quickly turn into tag mayhem if everyone could add to the tag pool, with a forum of this size.

You can do that! Just click the little pin icon to the left of the name. They also automatically unpin after you’ve read them, and at the bottom of the topic you can choose to restore a pinned item or manually unpin it. But the icon in the list view is the easiest.

Sorting does happen as a matter of default (each category can have its own display settings, including sort), and you can also control sorting yourself by clicking on column headers. As for the defaults, I tried to set them all to sort by activity—if you aren’t seeing that happen in a category listing, let me know. I did experiment with “Top” for a while, but that ended up listing all kinds of ancient stuff.

1 Like

I did wonder about that. And, it was yesterday, so that’s ancient history (translation: shrug.)

Cool. (Edit: And, of course, too simple for me to have figured out on my own. :blush:)

In terms of user ‘abilities’, this blog post might be helpful. I’m presuming Scrivener’s forums adopt the same levels and associated privileges?

I’m used to Discourse, and think this is definitely an upgrade on the last version of the forum. But I’m not sure that granting quasi-moderator powers to members is a good idea, especially the ability to hide posts/threads by new members/infrequent visitors.

1 Like

@Kinsey: We’ll have to see how it plays out, both in how many people get to that level, and how those who do, conduct themselves. If it gets to be a problem, it’s very simple to clamp down on settings, or if one person ends up going beyond the remit of helping to clear spam and abuse, locking their level back to 2. I hope it can be a positive addition, but if we find people abusing it to suppress other viewpoints, or anything of that nature, we won’t tolerate it.

2 Likes

Sounds good, you folks are clearly well on top of the transition so far. The potential benefits of this kind of forum are high, and I’m sure it will work as well as hoped.

It seems as though there are a lot of milestones being reached by L&L recently, which has been great to see and must be very rewarding for everyone there. Onwards and upwards!

2 Likes

I think you meant to say it’s at:

Avatar (my picture) → Messages (Mail icon) → Activity.

I am finding that the new forum software is at times, for reasons unknown, intercepting Ctrl-F, which in Chrome opens a search box, but in this case is displaying the forum software’s native search box instead. That could be intentional and a feature of the sw, but it’s happening on this page, but not on forum thread page in another tab. It’s not because I have this reply panel open; I only opened the panel to type this post describing it.

This doesn’t appear to be related to the disappearing header bar at the top of the page – but I bet that somehow it is.

That’s a good question, and one that has an unexpected answer. In short, the topic reading view, where this override is in place, does not actually exist entirely, but is streamed in as you scroll (and as the site changes for that matter). So Ctrl+F, as we traditionally would use it, cannot function because stuff a ways outside of the current scroll view area isn’t in the browser.

I think outside of topic view, Ctrl+F works normally. I’ve been using the / shortcut instead, because that seems to work more consistently. As a bit of an aside, press ? at any point to get a cheatsheet of keyboard shortcuts. One of the things I’m liking about the new forum is how shortcut friendly it is (even if on this particular matter, I’m not a huge fan, while understanding why it is the way it is).

In Safari or Opera on macOS, if CMD F opens forum search, a second CMD F replaces forum search and opens Safari / Opera search instead.

Might be the same on other operating systems.

Merx

2 Likes

If I understand what you’re suggesting, I saw this as well, but I found that if I clicked in the address bar of my browser (I’m using Microsoft Edge Chromium) then Ctrl-F allows me to search in the page. Note, however, that it doesn’t search within anything that is not currently visible (i.e., it’s in a collapsed container on the page.)

Yep. In Microsoft Chromium Edge this is the case with Ctrl-F. Thanks for pointing that out!

@nontroppo,

Thank you for pointing out the post-upgrade disappearance of the postings following my original posting for Limit on number of References?.

That said, after some research, I have learned that the issue I raised in my original posting appears when I have attempted to have more than 26 references that have an identical author and year combination when using the natbib package for citations and references. Natbib uses the author–year sorting scheme as a default.

As background, I am using the apacite.bst bibliography-style file with Natbib. When using the apacite.bst bibliography-style file, Natbib attempts to handle identical author and year combinations by automatically adding a single sequential letter a … z from the alphabet to the end of each of the identical author and year combinations, but obviously runs out of letters after the letter ‘z’, hence the 26 limit. I have yet to find a legitimate way around this limitation.

FYI, following up on your suggestion to convert my project to biblatex et al. as a way to avoid the issue, I spent a few days trying to convert my project from natbib to biblatex, but gave up once I realized that my project was too far committed to the natbib package with all of it’s commensurate packages to successfully make the necessary change.

Right now I am researching what options I may have with natbib to avoid the 26 a … z letter limit on identical author-year combinations that natbib has. I’ve temporarily circumvented the issue by making a slight adjustment to one or more of the otherwise identical author-year entries, such as adding a period after the author’s name, that allows the project to compile, but is not strictly legitimate.

I’d welcome any thoughts you or others may have on how I can adapt natbib to accommodate more than 26 identical author-year items in a bibliography.

Thank you for your help in sorting this issue out.
Thanks,
scrive
:slightly_smiling_face: :crazy_face: :scream:

Just to add a positive thing here, already I am liking this fresh forum software’s act :slight_smile:

• it’s much more readable, due to fonts, less ‘expansive’ formatting, and that I could bingo get a quite nice dark but not too dark theme. All of these things work nicely with my eyes.

• No more BBCode – enough to say…

• the tag system is likely a lot better than separate forum areas, even if it was a bit of a thing to encounter at first a completely mixed Windows view. We’ll get used to this fast, and tags are a definite thing!

• nice right side posting preview (!)

• Markdown! – for anyone who finds out how easy the rudiments are…

• :sunglasses: real emoticons…and I like the identity bubbles on post items too, a preview of flavors

• the slider on right, to move up and down dates of reply history – no pages; that is simply great…

Ok, yes, I like it. Well done, AmberV, living in a great place…

Clive

2 Likes

A post was split to a new topic: Changing bookmark status on a post or topic

Lets carry this on in the original post (see you over there…) :cowboy_hat_face:

I really don’t like this new look.

I know change serves a purpose, but in this case everything is different. It would be like rewriting scrivener again and just expecting people to be okay with the changes.

Then there’s the issue of the historical record. Sure everything that was there seems to be there, but you should’ve created a middle layer to retain old links.
Used a historical link to access the forum? Fails.
Have an old topic you used as reference? Find it again.