This is possibly .....

… the most well designed application I have come across for the Mac.

By well designed, I mean ‘suitability for the purpose it is intended.’

It’s seems to be rock solid, simple, intuitive, doesn’t do too much or too little.

Nice work. Well done.

No need to reply.

But I will anyway. :slight_smile:

Thank you. It really is great to hear that Scrivener is meeting the needs of some writers out there.

Thanks for taking the time to post,
Keith

Let me just add a “me too!” I stumbled upon Scrivener yesterday from a link on the Lifehacker.com site. I’ve already used it two days in a row for writing and holy smokes this software rocks.

The implementation of the full-screen editor is just about note-perfect. I fire that up, turn the transparency off, turn off my second monitor, and watch my text scroll gloriously by, unhampered by any distractions.

(I also disable my macro program in Scrivener so I don’t have one-key access to checking email or browsing the Internet – oh the things we have to do to fool ourselves into writing.)

Anyway, thanks for the amazing software. I will be buying a license on day one that it is released as 1.0.

Thank you!

How do you do that?

I was thinking this morning that I need to find a way to install a password on the exit from my full screen :smiley:

It depends on your macro program. I use DragThing to set hotkeys for program launching/switching, and it has a preference item to disable hotkeys in hidden docks, and a separate preference to hide docks in specific applications. So I hide the dock in Scrivener and the hot keys don’t work. (Note: In DragThing parlance, a dock is not the same as the system-wide Mac OS X Dock.)

If you use a different macro or launcher program your mileage may vary. (I also use iKey for more advanced macros.)

While I was eating breakfast this morning I was imagining a program that would refuse to give you any access to your computer until you had written a set number of words. It would probably disable “paste” so you would have to actually write those words and couldn’t cheat.

G’luck. Let me know if there’s anything I can do to help.

It depends on your macro program. I use DragThing to set hotkeys for program launching/switching, and it has a preference item to disable hotkeys in hidden docks, and a separate preference to hide docks in specific applications. So I hide the dock in Scrivener and the hot keys don’t work. (Note: In DragThing parlance, a dock is not the same as the system-wide Mac OS X Dock.)

If you use a different macro or launcher program your mileage may vary. (I also use iKey for more advanced macros.)

While I was eating breakfast this morning I was imagining a program that would refuse to give you any access to your computer until you had written a set number of words. It would probably disable “paste” so you would have to actually write those words and couldn’t cheat.

G’luck. Let me know if there’s anything I can do to help.

This is very close to the way I have Scrivener set up. I have two accounts on my MacBook - my normal admin account and my writing account. I use Mac Minder so that I can not access my normal account before 7am (I normally get up and start writing at around 5 am) and I have parental controls on my writing account set up so that the only applications I can access are involved in writing, i.e. Scrivener, Dictionary, etc.

Although it might seem a bit extreme, this has been working really well for me.

This program is the most brilliant thing in the universe. Well aside from maybe a few things. I love love love it. I just accidentally stumbled across it, can’t even remember how.

I have been using Final Draft software, yeah yeah it’s good but I used to use a very early program called Corkboard years and years ago and I just missed it sooooo much when it comes to the early stages of planning and nutting a screenplay out.

This gives me the best of both worlds and oh so much more.

Thankyooooooooooooo sooooooooo muchhhhhhhhhhh

Yay. I’m an absolute convert.

Kat :smiley:

Thank you. :slight_smile:

Honestly, Keith, I couldn’t agree more with the enthusiastic sentiments expressed here. If there were a Nobel prize for intelligent, focussed software development it would be yours, hands down. It’s obvious that Scrivener has been built from the ground up by a user (not just a programmer) with a crystal clear vision of what the application needs to do.

As a professional writer who has been using computers since 1980 (it was called text-processing then and was on a DEC-10 mainframe), I have tried all the ‘solutions’ over the years - and I mean all. My salvation for the last year or so has been partly provided by Jesse Grosjean over at Hog Bay (which, incidentally, is how I discovered Scrivener).

HB Notebook, and Mori to a lesser extent, have been godsends (when used in conjunction with Nisus), but, while they are extremely good applications, they are designed to work with any number of people undertaking a variety of tasks. That’s fair enough, but as a writer, I found they were still missing things I needed.

So, there I was with the best I could find, and still hoping for more. By June this year I gave up expecting all the features I needed to be integrated in one application and began to slip into a fantasy land in which I would build on the rudimentary (and I mean very rudimentary) knowledge I have of programming and eventually produce my own.

Fortunately, before I mired myself in my own digital Vietnam, I found someone with foresight and loads of nouse far ahead on the track, and going much faster.

Thank you, Keith. Superlatives fail me. This is so close to the perfect writer’s tool I may just start taking communion again.

Anthony

Hi Anthony, Keith will respond in his own inimitable way, but I just had to say that your contribution was like breathing out and breathing in - a stream of oxygen for the heart.

Have a really good look at the Tips and Tricks and the very useful Writers Block threads. They are really helpful and you’ll be up to speed in no time. Some trusted users will offer to send you screenshots of the way they use Scrivener if it helps. Welcome!

Dominus Vobiscum!

EDIT: Yes! What alexwein says below.

:smiley:

Hi Anthony,

My experience exactly, including the use of Hog Bay and Mori. I’m always happy to see someone else with the same sense of incredulity and delight when discovering Scr. for the first time. It was that huge for me as well. And it just gets better the more you use it! :slight_smile:

Alexandria

Thank you so much for all of these kind words. Jesse over at Hog Bay is a great guy, and we have shared code here and there - Mori and Hog Bay Notebook were more than a little influential in improving Scrivener’s outlining features. I cannot say how great it is to hear that writers are finding that Scrivener does exactly what it was intended to do.
Thank you - again!
:slight_smile:
Keith