Three bugs when syncing rtf-s edited in Word

Hello! When I edit rtf-s and sync Scrivener from them, I find three issues.
-The first one is the addition of two blank lines before the document. I have seen some other comments about that problem, but not a solution: Lines added during external folder sync (rtf)
-Besides, each sync adds an asterisk before each footnote call. I understand that it is the expected outcome for how Scrivener handles footnotes, but I would like to know if there is an alternative.
-Finally, Scrivener changes the font from the default one (Sitka text) to Times New Roman for some pieces of text. More precisely, from the first appearance of a quotation mark to the end of the paragraph (or the next footnote on that paragraph, in case there is one). This problem is a mystery to me.
Individually, these problems are not a hassle, but together, they are inconvenient: I have a whole book with several quotations and citations to revise with a corrector (I need Microsoft Word for that).
For now, I have to adjust the font and erase asterisks each time I edit externally to keep things neat. Could someone give me a hint?

Not much help here, but can confirm the 2 lines on top of every article when the articles come back in LibreOffice Writer as well. So the issue isn’t just MS Word. I do the sync to use Antidote for grammar and style editing.

Are you trying to use any of the Styles settings in Scrivener or in Word to control the appearance and consistency of fonts? I use Scrivener’s sync to work in both Scrivener and Word and do not see font changes, like you describe, and definitely not based on things like a quotation mark at the end of a paragraph triggering font change.

What I found is that if I have a group of “Heading #” styles separately set up as I want in both Scriv and Word; AND if at least one of those Heading styles has been applied to text in Scriv; then when I run sync and open the rtf in Word, all formatting appears as expected AND the Heading styles themselves are retained in the Word document; AND that after editing and saving and re-syncing the doc back to Scriv, the formatting AND the actual Heading styles themselves (not just unnamed formatting) are still retained. With this method, I routinely make round trips between S and W and do not have significant formatting or font changes.

In my experience, the key is to make sure the Scrivener document is first “primed” by actually using and applying at least one named Style that will have a same-named corresponding Style in Word. But note: this does NOT include using either Scrivener’s “No Style” style or Word’s “Normal” style. It only applies to the Heading styles.

“No Style” in Scriv roughly corresponds to “Normal” in Word. But I have my defaults in Scriv including the No Style default, set up to to use the same settings as in Word. With this set up, serious problems moving between S and W have mostly disappeared. (If you’ve created a “Normal” style in Scrivener and are trying to get it to translate to “Normal” in Word - don’t bother as it’s not worth the effort…)

The two lines placed at the top of the doc are consistent, but not as bad as broken formatting. I just know I have to delete them when I resync.

I don’t use footnotes or endnotes in Scrivener, and would 't want to guess what kind of problems they can cause.

Also, I know that talk of styles and formatting eventually brings out comments about how document formatting, and by extension “layout,” are not what Scrivener is about, which has more to do with “writing,” but I find all that unpersuasive. I don’t consider the expectation of consistent fonts and the ability to use basic heading styles to be outside the scope of basic document creation and editing.

Thank you, Mad_Girl_Disease. The font changes from the first (not last) appearance of a quotation mark until the end of the corresponding paragraph (unless there is a footnote call before. In that case, the formatting is the expected one after the footnote number).

I have tried assigning equivalent heading styles as you suggest, and, in effect, it keeps them after syncing. However, the font-changing persists. Anyway, I use other styles in Scrivener for block quotes and some emphases; even if Word takes them as unstyled text, they stay correctly in Scrivener after the sync.

I have no “Normal” style in Scrivener, I use “No Style” for that, but my default font in Scrivener (Sitka text 12) is different from W’s default (Calibri 11). I have no idea why Scrivener changes it to Times New Roman 12 in return.

As said, footnotes don’t seem to add to the problem.

I agree with you on your last paragraph. I use Scrivener’s features for everything I can, and I only use Word and rtf because there’s no other way to use the Gr…ly corrector I have paid for. It would be fantastic if it worked in Scrivener, but I suppose it’s a difficult implementation.

The latest version of Gr…ly works with Scr…ner.

2 Likes

It does!!! :partying_face:
Apparently, it does not underline the suggestions, but I think I can go without that. It will be much more straightforward now. Thank you, AntoniDol!

1 Like

EDIT: After some more hours of work, the additional characteristics of Grammarly in Word (the sidebar and, especially, the underlining of suggestions in the text) compensate for the inconvenience of reformatting the text after each sync. It would be amazing to have the underlining in Scrivener. Maybe in subsequent versions :crossed_fingers:

Are you using smart quotes? It only happens after special rtf characters.
If times new roman is font \f1 in the rtf file, \f1\fs22\b0\i0 gets added before any rtf symbol code:

{\f1\fs22\b0\i0 \loch\af1\hich\af1\dbch\af1\uc1\u8217\'92t

It then resets back to your default (\f0) font on the next paragraph because each paragraph that doesn’t start with a non-ascii character (smart quotes, for example) begins with \par\plain {\f0\fs22\b0\i0

1 Like

Thank you, shaun! I have switched to straight quotes, and now the font doesn’t change. Unfortunately, I use some other special characters, like the Lemniscate symbol, but not as many times as the quotes, so you have saved me a lot of mouse clicks. :clap: :trophy: