Tips for Using Images

Here are two tips that may help you use images more effectively.

1. Using Edit/Insert/Image Linked to a File … is a great way to keep your project from getting too large. However, you can’t use that for the image in the inspector. What I do is create two versions of every image. A large one and one that is only 200 pixels wide.

That way, I have a large image to view when describing a setting or person,

and a small image, which doesn’t bloat the project, that can be used to see all the settings, for example.

1. This will save you time: Put all your images for all your different projects, in a single folder. Scrivener has yet to use indirection for setting folder locations, so, if you don’t do that, and you move your project, all the links will be broken. That will happen even if you put the images in the same folder as the project! I save myself typing by assigning a drive letter to that image folder. Here’s mine:

Thanks for this tip.

My problem: I use Scrivener on two desktop computers, one at work and one at home. I keep my linked images (and Scrivener files themselves) in a synched Dropbox directory. When I Edit/Insert/Image Linked to File into a Scriver project on one computer, the results don’t translate over to the over computer. In other words, I can insert linked images on my home computer sans problem, but when I go to view and/or work on the file on my other computer, all the links are broken. The same problem works in reverse, too; i.e., when I insert linked images on work computer, they don’t show up on my home computer.

Both computers use the same Dropbox directories without any problems in the past for all other programs and applications.

Any ideas on what I’m doing wrong?
Cheers, Mark

Is the setup of the Dropbox folder exactly the same on the two computers? Is it connected to the same user name?

Hi Lunk,
Yes, the setup is exactly the same. I have used Dropbox between the two computers for years now. This is the only application that I’ve ever had an issue with synching. Weird.

I’d like to update this technique. Creating an image then choosing File/ Import/Research Files as Aliases… cuts out the need to create images of two size and immediately populates the document and the image in the inspector. You can also set the scaling so the that image fills the editor. I’m converting over to this new system as I go.

On the other hand, this method doesn’t all you to have multiple photos in one document.

The location of Dropbox very well may not be the same on each computer, although it appears that it is. Usually Dropbox is created under the “user” folder on Windows (I have no idea about Macs). If your login name is different on each computer then Dropbox is not in the same location. For example: home computer login: smith :: 2nd computer login: smithx The location for where Dropbox is actually located is: C:\Users\smith\Dropbox and C:\Users\smithx\Dropbox. What is happening is that Scrivener has the location of the file as C:\Users\smith\Dropbox\image1.jpg. But the ‘smithx’ login doesn’t have this folder location, hence the link is broken on the ‘smithx’ computer.

What you can do is change the location of Dropbox to a location that can be consistent between the two computers. I suggest moving the Dropbox folder to the C: drive on each computer. (Some people won’t like this, but it is perfectly fine.) But change the location on both (all) computers. Now Scrivener links to C:\Dropbox\image1.jpg and both computers have this location. Link unbroken.

To change the Dropbox location do the following:

Right click on Dropbox icon.
select Sync.
Press the Move button.
Choose the new location, i.e. C: drive.
Press the Ok button.
Press the Ok button again.