Transfering footnotes between Mac and Windows versions

I have a dissertation in progress on my Mac, which is slowly trying to die. I’ve been using Inspector footnotes, because, for me the in-line ones get in the way a little.

Financial constraints mean I’m now using a Windows machine and Inspector footnotes aren’t supported. My first chapter has over 100 footnotes in.

Is there any way I can find them in a different file, or format, or something and even manually copy-paste each one into an in-line note?

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Joe.

Do you still have access to the Mac? The easiest solution is just to convert them all to inline notes there so they’ll be usable in the Windows project. To do that you’d load all your documents as a Scrivenings session, then choose Format > Convert > Inspector Footnotes to Inline Footnotes.

The footnotes are all stored in separate .links files, one for each binder document that contains footnotes or comments. It’s possible to extract the footnote text from these, but it will be a bit of a hassle. If you do have to resort to that, you may want to try downloading the most recent Windows beta, as I believe that has marginal support for the inspector notes–I think it allows you to see them in the text in tooltips, so although you can’t edit the text you could at least see where in the main body text the footnote belongs. (The .links file keeps all this in a range of numbers, whereas this would give you an actual visual in the document.) It may even be possible to compile or export these notes then from the beta, which would give you an easier way to copy them back into the project, but I’m really not sure how much is supported yet with that.

If I can get the Mac to cooperate tomorrow, I’ll try converting the Inspector notes to in-lines.

Otherwise, I guess I’ll have to wait for a version that supports Inspector footnotes.

Thanks for the tip, MM.

I hope that works for you! I checked out the beta; it will allow you to see the footnotes in the tooltips, but you can’t export or compile them, so they’d just be guides to help you re-insert the footnotes at the proper locations.