Translating in Scrivener

In my research I need to translate few sections. In the research section in the binder I tried to make a table of two columns for this would be enough for me but once a paste the text on the lift side the table disappear! splitting the editor didn’t work either. Any Ideas pleas?

Like a number of people here, I work (with a collaborator) on translations—Chinese and English in our case—and find Scrivener perfect for the purpose. You need to have two documents, one with the source text and the other your translation, and then have the source in one split and the target in the other.

Are you on Windows or Mac? FYI my collaborator is a Windows user, I’m a Mac user, but gives us no problems.

Then, what languages are you concerned with? For instance, if one of your languages is RTL, I don’t know if you can have RTL in one split and LTR in the other, though someone else might.

The other thing to be aware of is that I believe tables provided by the text system on both platforms are pretty rudimentary, though why your table “disappeared” I can’t guess. So are you trying to use tables as you want a rwo column text in the final output?

I ask all this merely to give us more background information to be able to help you.

:smile:

Mark

2 Likes

I am a Mac user and the target Language is Arabic and it’s RTL. I merely use the table to organize the translation process and I don’t need it for the final product. If you can explain to me how to do what you said about the two documents “You need to have two documents, one with the source text and the other your translation, and then have the source in one split and the target in the other”.
I greatly appreciate your help brother.

OK. Here is a little Scrivener project that shows how to do it.

translating.scriv.zip (50.6 KB)

In order to place it here, it has to be zipped. Download it onto your computer, double click it to unzip it, then double click the resulting translating.scriv and it should open in Scrivener.

You will see that I have given the English document the label “English” and the Arabic document the label “Arabic”, with the label colour showing as a spot on the binder entry. If you tell me more about what your project is, I’ll explain why doing this is useful.

Hope you find this helpful.

:smile:

Mark

2 Likes

This is awesome man! But how can I do it? how can I open two documents in one Editor?

That’s what splitting the Editor is for. Split the editor (vertically). With your insertion point in one side or the other of the split, you can change what document that side of the split shows by selecting the desired doc in the Binder. So, it is easy to use the split editor to set up a view of two different docs.

1 Like

splitting the document will not allow you to write in one side differently than the other, whatever you do in one side changes automatically in the other

Click the Icon at the top right corner of the Main Editor for Vertical Split. Alt/Option click for horizontal Split.

Make sure you select two different documents with the Binder on the left side of your screen.

1 Like

I got it now. Thank you brother