Trouble Updating

Hello,

I'm currently running Scrivener 1.2.5.0 and I'm trying to update to version 1.5.7.0.

I download the update, and when I go to install it, I receive an error saying:

There has been an error.
Error trying to install file: destination ${installdir} resolved to an empty value
The application will exit now.

What is the fix for this? It’s been going on for quite a while now.

Thanks.

Edit: And I know that I can fix this problem by uninstalling, downloading the newest version, and then re-installing, but I want to know why my update process doesn’t work.

I know that there was a point in the upgrade sequence where it was impossible for some users to update through Scrivener itself. I think it might have been the 1.2.5 or 1.2.6. vicinity, so that might be the issue. As far as I know, the most recent versions don’t have this problem.

As you noted, you can update by downloading the latest version and installing.

Agreed, with a update jump that large you should just download the installer from the site, and given the age of the current copy an uninstall will probably be safer than just updating straight, anyway. Just to note though, you don’t have to uninstall if you download the full installer. You can run it and it will update the installed version just fine. That is what I typically do as I like to keep an archive of the installers I download.