Whenever I try to export a Scapple diagram to .rtfd on my Mac I get an error message that says:
“There was a problem exporting the file - The file could not be written to disk. Please check that you have the necessary permissions and enough disk space.”
I have the correct permissions over the disk and plenty of disk space - and other formats work fine… just rtfd failing. Feels like a bug has crept in since first deployed. Any ideas?
Intel or M1 Mac? What version of MacOS?
M1 MBA, MacOS 12.5.1, Scapple 1.4.1 here; no problem exporting RTFD to either Desktop or iCloud.
I am using MacOS 12.5.1 on 2019 MBP (Intel) with Scapple 1.40.1
Just noticed - exporting a chart in .rtfd that has NO images works - but trying to export a chart that contains (for example) screenshots - fails. I have tried dragging and dropping screenshots directly from capture to scapple, and dragging a file from a saved location to the chart. Both methods fail.
Thanks for the report. I do not get the error message on macOS 10.15, but what does get exported is not correctly formatted, causing the images to not appear in RTFD compliant editors. So I suspect the two issues are the same, but have noted both variations for the developers to take a look at.
Thank you Amber… hopefully not too onerous to fix. As an idea for exporting to text based lists etc - one idea would be to add a feature for inserting manual anchor numbers. I use Scapple to keep a running log of my week’s work - so typically date - connected to a number of vertically arranged tasks - some of which are connected to sub-fields and so on. To help Scapple understand correct export order - if I could number the the top tiers 1-7 - it could export according to those anchor points, then step/tab through the branches and sub branches. Maybe my need is niche and not worth the effort - but it would seem flexible and scalable to other use cases, and leave me in control of output ordering.
I don’t think it should be a tough fix, the bug almost looks like a source string is not being clipped far enough. The image name is being printed in the RTF file as
/image name.png instead of
image name.png. My guess is they have to extract the filename from somewhere at some point, which would probably look something like
/var/tmp/scapple/image name.png, and that’s where you can see how it might be a clipping problem.
I use Scapple to keep a running log of my week’s work - so typically date - connected to a number of vertically arranged tasks - some of which are connected to sub-fields and so on.
I have used it for just this sort of thing in the past as well! It’s quite nice as a simple journal of one’s work, as well as what needs to be done.
Have a look at §9.2.1, The Order of Things, in the user manual. There are already some useful tricks for influencing export order. Most of them are fairly straightforward: keep things left-to-right and top-down, but connectors and stacks, and even distance can have a strong influence on what goes next.
You might find, as I do, that sometimes pushing those conditions is the best way to get the right output, even if to stress them for export, and then undo back to where you visually want things to be.
I honestly doubt we’ll be adding any kind of export order interface or system beyond the implementation of these rules. We did discuss it in the early design phases—even having a kind of preview that you could influence with drag and drop, but most of that ended up on the cutting room floor, in favour of the current system of predictable rules.