Unable to install - getting can't download securely message

Hi.
I just got a new Windows computer and it’s running Windows 11. I have my email with the download instructions and license key from when I purchased Scrivener several months ago. When I try to install on the new computer, it gives me a “scrivener installer .exe cannot be downloaded securely” message.

Help?

Hello laralou88. It sounds like your Windows security settings and/or your anti-virus might be a bit overzealous in protecting your PC.

If you’re downloading either via our emailed link or directly from our website, the Scrivener .exe installer file should be safe for your computer to download. You may, however, need to prompt your security tools to allow that download (as well as the installation).

I suggest reviewing those security tools and ensuring that Scrivener is added to their exceptions lists so you can install the program and activate it.

1 Like

I did a Google search on “ installer .exe cannot be downloaded securely” and found some hits which may help you. have a look.

1 Like

I was able to install by copying the link in the dialogue window that gave me the “can’t download securely” message, copy it to a new browser and paste as a new URL. It worked! Didn’t even have to go wandering into my settings. Thanks all!