uniform page formats

I have been using Scrivener for quite a while now (since version 1) and have got most of it under my belt.
But there is one thing I can’t figure out.
I am working on a book that has quite a lot of pages now.
I figured out how to control the default fonts from the front of the program but can’t see how to have a uniform page format.
Some of my pages have one kind of indentation at the beginning of paragraphs and other have another or no indentation at all.
Can someone tell me how to “homogenize” all these pages to look alike? Without having to go through page by page?

Thank you.

We have an article in the knowledge base on maintaining consistent formatting.

P.S. Did you really intend to use your email address as your public handle? If not, let me know what handle you’d prefer and I can change it.

Using my email does not sound like a good idea. I did not realize.
If you would be so kind, change it to richardstephens. That should be safer.
Thank you.

No problem! It’s fixed.

I have a project which is a compilation from several sources. So some of the chapters are Courier/12, others Times Roman/10, etc. Say, ten different chapters or so. I thought this could be fixed and made uniform in Compile, but apparently not. How can I change the formatting for the entire project?

No, the compile settings do not provide to leave the text “as in editor.”

It’s unclear whether you are asking about making your source text cleaner just for your own sake, if you are asking about rudimentary compile usage. At any rate, I’ve moved this to one of the many existing threads on the topic of cleaning up text formatting.

But Compile can make the font and font-size uniform.

And also, you can compile as-as. That is basically what the Default compile format does.

1. What you have said suggests one quick diagnosis: that your text is being stubborn because you have assigned defined styles to your body paragraphs. Standard practice in Scrivener is to leave body paragraphs in the Editor with No Style assigned to them, and leave it to Compile to determine the general look. Styles are only for paragraphs that need to end up looking different than that. When you assign a defined style to a paragraph in Scriv, you are telling Compile not to mess with that paragraph — you have declared yourself in charge. Now, if this is why your paragraphs are being recalcitrant upon Compile, then you have two choices at this point. Select those body paragraphs and set them to No Style on the format bar in the Editor. Or redefine the assigned styles to impose the look you want on compile. The former is the preferred Scrivener way.

Maybe the above diagnosis does the trick, maybe not. Here are some remarks on making Compile give your body paragraphs a specific look.

1. First, in the main dialog box when you invoke Compile there is a pop-up menu right there to specify a font you would like to impose throughout. So, that’s one thing to know. But if you need to impose also a font size, we need to dig deeper.

2. The default compile format will basically leave things as they are, so that isn’t quite what you want. So let’s just pick whatever compile format you were wanting to use and we will Duplicate and Edit that. During compile every document’s section type is assigned to a section format which determines the resulting look of that document. What we want to do is edit what those Section Formats are doing to determine that look. The defined section formats in your compile format that are being used in your particular compile will be represented in bold in the compile format designer interface. Pick one of those and in the resulting panel you will see an example paragraph. Click the override checkbox at the bottom of that to tell compile you want Compile to determine the look of your body paragraphs (thus overriding whatever look they might have in the Editor). Now use the styling toolbar to make the example paragraph as you want it (in particular you want to set the font and size). Repeat for any other section formats that are used in your compile situation.

In the future, if you are going to paste material from other sources into Scrivener, do yourself a favor and use Paste and Match Style rather than Paste. That way you will throw away most of the unwanted cruft that might be coming along with the source text you are pasting.

1 Like