Unresponsive sizing on widescreen computers

The resolution on my computer is set to 1920x1080 which is the recommended configuration for my widescreen desktop all in one computer. As of now, I not only can’t test compiling without changing the resolution on my computer, but I also can’t install the latest Beta through window that popped up when I logged on this morning because the install button is off the screen entirely and the pop up box is not responsive to my screen size or resizable.

I assume this is something that will be addressed because as much as I love Scrivener, I don’t love it enough to either permanently change my screen resolution OR do it every time I want to compile or update the program.

1920x1080 is the most common resolution. Probably 90% of the monitors sold recommend that resolution. I have one 1920x1080 screen and 1 1920x1200 screen and do not have an issue with either. So, the issue is not the resolution.

Are you using Windows 10? Have you updated your video drivers? Are you using a 100% scaling or some other?

Have you ever resized the windows so they are positioned off the screen. Can you move the window back onto the screen and then resize it?

I also run 1920x1080. I installed Beta 13 by downloading it from here.

Scrivener’s pop-up boxes often appear in relation to where you clicked to cause them, and there should be some sort of spatial control on them, particularly if the app is full-screen. In the case that Scrivener is not full screen, the buttons might appear on screen, but they could just as easily appear off-screen, because their placement is not constrained to stay within the bounds of Scrivener’s own window. They shouldn’t necessarily be constrained after appearance to stay there (people might move them off-window for some reason), but their placement at appearance really should be constrained.

I already posted this in another thread, but will copy/paste my response here too:

Sorry for the troubles you experience with the window sizes, guys. We try to improve it, but the truth is that a big part of the problem lies in the Qt library and they are moving very slowly with the fixes here. With the latest Qt updates we see improvements, but also strange effects, where the same application and hardware settings sometimes work fine, sometimes the windows are too big without a good explanation for the behavior.

Can I suggest that users who do not have High-DPI monitors turn OFF the File > Options > Startup > “Enable High DPI Mode” option and restart Scrivener. Hopefully this will improve your experience.

In general if you experience troubles with the window sizes, please toggle the above option, restart Scrivener and try again. Hopefully one state of the option will give you the expected user experience. Having this option on/off is tricky to auto-detect as many users have a mixed style of monitors. We hope with newer Qt updates this user experience will improve, and we will not need this option at all.

Please, let me know whether this option helps getting your windows back into proper sizes.

Yep, Windows 10 fully updated. I can’t resize the windows at all. When I put my mouse at the edges of the windows, the icon to resize comes up, but is totally unresponsive.

Turning off High DPI mode (and I do have a high DPI monitor so this shouldn’t be necessary) just barely made the compile window small enough to use the buttons, but also made the interface text and icons too small for me to read. Changing screen resolutions had the exact same effect and it’s more important to me that I can see the icons and text on a daily basis since I compile less often than I write. The change to the height of the compile window was not that pronounced but was small enough for me to use the buttons at least.

I also tested various screen resolutions and the only ones that made the compile screen fit properly were the ones that did not have widescreen dimensions. I didn’t buy this computer to look at huge black boxes down the sides of my monitor.

Based on what I can see, this seems to be more an issue with the compile box not being exceptionally compatible with widescreen resolutions than anything else. I can, since the last update, widen the compile screen, but since it is not truly responsive, doing so has no effect on the height. The compile sections expand and contract only in one direction.

I can, however, muddle through with turning off the scaling and/or altering the resolution when I need to compile even though doing so makes the interface difficult to read.

This helps a little. It really helped the Compile dialog; it opens at a usable size now (I had to enlarge it). I have a question, though. Is there some way you can save the size of a dialog box once we set it? There are several that I really need to have larger than their defaults, and resizing them every time becomes tedious. And every time I reopen Scrivener, those dialog boxes are back to too small for comfortable use. And I know there’s no algorithm that can really accomodate for the different users’ needs in terms of size of those boxes, so why not just save the user-selected sizes? They’re each named, right?

Maybe that sort of thing could go into an SQlite database, or an INI file, or some such? Something easy to read, loaded on startup, saved and reloaded on resizing, and else ignored?

Same problem here, with some forms: I use my 14" laptop with 1920x1080 screen resolution and 150% magnification.
In attach, a screenshot of my standard screen with the “New project” form: as you can see, a small part of the form is hidden under the application bar. Note: the “New Project” form cannot be resized reducing height or width.
Same problem with “Compile” form (see attach)

Using 125% scaling (or no scaling at all) no problems, except for my eyes… :smiley:

There are a couple of options here. The problem really is that Windows doesn’t handle screen magnification very well.
Option 1. You can right click on the taskbar and choose taskbar settings. From there turn on autohide taskbar in desktop mode. This will hide the taskbar if you don’t move the mouse to the bottom of the screen. This will allow you to view the full window. Whether Scrivener is able to fix this or not, I don’t know, but many programs will have this problem if you run in 150% mode, because Windows doesn’t handle windows very well.

Option 2. Switch to the 125% mode and change the magnification in specific programs. For example, you can run the scrivenings window in 150% or whatever mode and have it be very big. Web pages and most other programs zoom if you simply hold the control key down and roll the mouse wheel forward or use the + key (- for zoom out).

Ok, these are great workaround to bypass these problems (I don’t know if they can be called “bug”, in effect).
However Windows 10 and/or Scrivener/GT show weird behaviours in different magnification: here are the same screenshots with 125% magnification. The forms are slightly smaller than the ones with 150% magnification…