Update crashes during "extracting file" on Mac OS 11.7.4

I’m running Scrivener 3.3.1 on Mac Big Sur, and trying to update Scrivener. The updater consistently crashes during the file extraction. Six times in a row now.

The download is 137.2 megs. I’m not having trouble with other downloads, including files up to 6 gigs.

Can I update through some other means? Terminal on Mac? If so, what command would I invoke?

I’m not sure whether this problem is exclusive to me, therefore I don’t know if I should report it as a bug.

Try the full installer: Download Scrivener | Literature & Latte

1 Like

@November_Sierra: Thank you. I’m downloading it now.

The upgrader should work in general, but yes if it does not, grabbing the full DMG from the website is fine. If it doesn’t, I’ll fire up that partition and see if we have a problem. Worst case, you can always grab the previous version from our release notes page.

As for command-line, I use Homebrew for almost everything, but it probably doesn’t have the latest update yet since that was only put out a few hours ago.

1 Like

@November_Sierra it worked. I am back in business. Thank you very, very much.

1 Like

Thank you @AmberV. I was able to download the full package and install it. But I’m sure that if other people are having trouble with the extraction component of the Mac updater it would be nice to fix whatever issue is causing that.

Oh of course, and it was already verified as functioning on another macOS version. I did just fire up 11.7 and run a quick upgrade test, and it ran flawlessly. Could have just been a weird route glitch—these things happen as the authentication is quite strict to avoid man-in-the-middle attacks.

1 Like