Updating Mac to Ventura 13.5 - Error message and can't open file

I just updated my Mac laptop to Ventura 13.5 and my desktop has Ventura 13.4. I tried to open my Scrivener file on my desktop and I get this error message: The project {name of file} seems to be of an older format, but no binder.scrivproj file could be found inside it. It may be missing or corrupt, possibly because of a problem with the device on which it is stored, or because of a synchronisation problem. I can still open it on the laptop which was updated but can no longer open it on the desktop which hasn’t been updated. The crazy thing is that I can still open older Scrivener files, just not this new one or any new ones I make on the laptop (I just did some test files.) Anyone else having this problem? Suggestions?

I just tried making a test file on the desktop with Ventura 13.4 and I am able to open that on my laptop Ventura 13.5. But if I make a test file on the laptop Ventura 13.5, it won’t open on the desktop Ventura 13.4.

Hi barbr and welcome to the forum.

Are you storing your Scrivener projects in a cloud-syncing service like Dropbox or iCloud Drive?

If so, then the issues you’re seeing when accessing your projects could be caused by your cloud-syncing service defaulting to storing your projects in an “online-only” setting.

This Dropbox Support article explains the settings to change so that your data will be “available offline.”

For iCloud Drive, this Apple Support article has the steps to have your projects available offline.

Does making that settings change correct this?

1 Like

Wow, that immediately solved the problem!!! Thanks so much for that advice, Ruth!!!

1 Like