I didn’t see it at the time, my sentence could easily be interpreted as if I meant he recycled some of his own earlier work. But that wasn’t it. I meant that some of his earlier publications were just recently found to be other people’s work he plagiarized.
I personally wouldn’t see a problem with a writer using parts of his/her (own) earlier work to produce new material. As long as the quantity (and the “how” – the integration) doesn’t make it so that he/she is just selling the same stuff again with a different front cover.
“Go to the forest and study the trees. Those which are straightest get cut down first. Therefore, it is not wise to be too straight forward.” Cāṇakya Pandit
Newton knocked his head on the apple, jumping. (There, I’ve rewritten history.)
Oh, and it wasn’t an apple but rather a pink beaver, looking for Debby Duranson. (In a plastic tree, yes – everybody knows she likes that. … Although I must admit I have no idea who she might be.)
“Ouate de phoque” is a humorous Québécois French expression. Literally, it means “seal cotton,” but it is a playful phonetic substitute for the English profanity “what the f**k?”
So:
“Ouate de phoque!” ≈ “What the f**k!” / “What the hell!”
It is a deliberately silly expression, used to avoid actually swearing in English. “Ouate” approximates “what,” and “phoque” (seal) sounds like “f&&k.”
The modern narrative would be aliens playing foosball. Knocked too hard, a ball flew out of the space ship and tonked Olivia Newton John on the head. She subsequently invented gravity, empowering her to help John Travolta grease his flagging career. He lost all his hair.
Faut avoir les couilles de fer d’expliquer le français à un français…
Mais, à propos, as tu lu Mots d’Heures: Gousses, Rames? C’est la poésie traduite parfaite. Un exemple…
Un petit d’un petit
S’étonne aux Halles
Un petit d’un petit
Ah! degrés te fallent
Indolent qui ne sort cesse
Indolent qui ne se mène
Qu’importe un petit d’un petit
Tout Gai de Reguennes.
A prize for working out the original English poem…
If you had a post deleted, it might just be a hint that you were breaking the forum rules; insulting the moderators for cleaning up the thread is also somewhat frowned upon.