URGENT REQUEST for a Windows compatable version of Scrivener

Is there any chance that Scrivener will appear in a form compatable with Windows?

OR . . . a suggestion of a Windows program similar to Scrivener.

I have a very involved novel project due to kick off and would like to begin its production in Scrivener.

Thanks!

From the FAQ:

Or, like a few other people on the forum, you could buy a MacBook specifically for the use of Scrivener. :wink:

Hi there.

I think the closest match you’re going to find is
Writeway Pro, which is pretty good.

:slight_smile:

We all knew this request would appear
it is only logical that Scrivener be made for the Windows platform. My only chagrin is that I have seen many a fine Apple application go by the wayside when the developer chose to make a Windows version. The success of Scrivener is obvious, and who am I to selfishly want such an application to forego its future potential, and deny those who would benefit from Scrivener’s offerings?

Keith, all I can say is please do not forget us, should you choose to develop both versions. And please do not let the Apple version fall behind the Windows version. Thanks, and continued success.

P.S. The Apple world loved you first!

I think there is very little to worry about to be honest. Scrivener is written in Cocoa and it would be quite an undertaking to rebuild it in Windows, unless Apple made the Cocoa port available for Windows that is.

Even so, Keith is a Mac user, so he’s much more likely to keep the Mac version up to date anyway; remember, that he wrote Scrivener for his own use as well 

Also, you could check out Ideamason (http://www.ideamason.com/) for windows. It seems to be okay, at least worth trying out until you might decide to switch to the mac platform.

Dood. get a mac. the grass is truly greener. :slight_smile: I stare at Windows all day at work. I couldn’t write on a PC no matter what software package I used–even if it was Scrivener.

The state of the grass really depends on what you’re doing. For the most part, I still prefer to do the majority of work on my pc, simply because of the applications available on it that I cannot get on a Mac.

At the end of the day, it’s the applications that make the environment, for me anyway 

But Parallels is making that line so very blurry these days. Windows applications can be run at full speed, right alongside everything else. Maybe it is less a matter of verdancy, and more a matter of quantity. We can now run both green and brown grass systems at once. Or to be all obnoxiously Matrix, “There is no fence.” :wink:

Seriously, just get a new Intel Mac. It will run Windows, Vista and OSX. You can switch from one to the other on the same machine and continue to run all of your Windblows software.
:smiley:

Great avatar, LL!

Do what I did! I bought a G3 900Mhz iBook from Mac of All Trades (http://www.macofalltrades.com/ with Wifi for $400. Specifically for the purpose of writing my next book and for doing a little FileMaker programming. Even though it’s an older ibook, it is in great shape, it runs Scrivener just fine, and it’s very portable.

I’d just like to warn anybody considering taking this route. I borrowed an old iBook G3 with a dead battery for a summer, when I was working away from home. By the time the monitor joined the battery in unserviceability, I had gotten to like the system so much I bought myself a shiny new PowerBook G4.

:smiley:

I wasn’t going to mention it, but there is still the question of

1/. Form factor - I can’t get a Mac in the subnotebook category, which I need for writing on the go.

2/. Reliability, which, judging by reports, is not too good on the notebook side at the present.

‘Windblows’?

Is that really the best you can do?

:unamused:

As I was saying to Amber, I’d rather by a Windows machine due to the reliability and form factor. Otherwise, yup, I’d buy a Macbook (I don’t even mind the fact that they discolour).

Although there were quite a number of problems with the 1st generation of both MacBooks and MacBook Pros - as there usually is with 1st gen. Apple products - from all accounts the latest line (using Core 2 Duos) seem to be running fine.

I have one of the later MacBooks (just before the processor switch) and have had no problems so far after 8 months of very intensive use. FWIW.

Well, that’s good to know. So the only remaining problem is, that all the Macs are way too big for what I need.

To my thinking, the 12" Powerbooks were the “right” size for a laptop–about the dimensions of a piece of paper.

–Greg

P.S. If the rumors are worth anything, some say Apple is working on a serious small notebook. So, we may yet be joining this party!

I’ve been a Mac user since '87 and this debate has raged the entire time. Even now, when you can load Windows and run PC apps on a Mac just as if you were on a PC, the debate continues. At this point in time, the issue is no longer what a Mac can’t do - it’s what a PC can’t do - run Mac software. Thus the original request for Scrivener to be ported to the PC.

One other comment. I happen to work for a fairly large corp. that happens to make the processors in most of the world’s PCs and all of the current Macs (is that a big enough hint). You cannot believe the excitement when Apple changed to our processors. Also, you would not believe how many engineers walk around the massive complex I work in, carrying their dull as dishwater IBM and Dell laptops - with Apple stickers all over the things. A friend of mine just got back from a conference at Microsoft. The folks in Seattle did not appreciate the graphics all over his laptop!

I suspect if my company allowed us to use Macbooks, there’d be a stampede.

Dave