Using imported files

I’m not quite sure if this is a support request, a wish list item, or just feedback, so feel free to move it to a more appropriate forum.

I’m still new at Scrivener. I’ve started a small project, and in subfolders under Research I’ve imported several files. Most of them are PDFs, and there’s also a Web page (imported as Dynamic Web).

I have two comments about these imported files. First, the PDFs display great, but it’s impossible to copy selected text to the clipboard from them. I’m not sure why this is (and I’m sure I’m not the first one to ask about it), but it’s inconvenient–I have to open the document in Acrobat Reader in order to copy to the clipboard.

Second, and less importantly, in a Web page imported as Dynamic Web, links to documents (such as PDFs), as opposed to links to HTML Web pages, do not work. I can imagine why this must be so, but it would be nice at least to have a right-click option to open the link in a browser rather than having to copy the link and paste it into my browser. (I’ve tried to use the Open in New Window option, but that doesn’t seem to do anything for either HTML or document links.)

Thanks for any clarification you can offer. I’m loving Scrivener as I begin to learn how to use it.

Yes, these are limitations currently of the tools we have available for importing and rendering the pages. Both are things we have on the list for future improvement if possible, particularly the PDF copy/paste as there are several quirks with the PDF toolkit we have. As far as the web page, you should be able to use Documents > Open > Original URL in Browser, then navigate to the appropriate location and download your PDF.

Thanks, MM. Yes, I did find the Open Original URL in Browser option as well. As with the other issue, it’s basically just a matter of convenience. (And it’s interesting how we–or some of us, anyway, i.e., I–have gotten to the point where an extra 5 seconds seems like an “inconvenience”!)