Using Scrivener with Dropbox

The ‘subscription’ i was talking about was the product key. And as i said, i never realised Mac was different to iOS so i was upset i had to buy it twice. But its done now and i have Scrivener both on my Mac and my iPad.

I have also got Dropbox on both.

To risk annoying anyone with my simple brain … I am now stuck on how to sync and work with my project via dropbox. I have just read the tutorial on syncing to dropbox and its telling me to copy and move the work out of dropbox before working on it and it all sounds terrifying to be honest. Any advice that once i have managed to get everything syncing via dropbox, how to actually work on the documents and not lose all my work?

There’s a thorough guide to setting up Dropbox synchronization for iOS Scrivener here:
scrivener.tenderapp.com/help/kb … g-with-ios

If you still have questions after reading that, you might want to start another thread. This one is long enough that things tend to get buried. Please note also that this thread started before iOS Scrivener existed, so much of what it has to say is not applicable to your situation.

Katherine

I’m trying to sync Scrivener 2 with my iPad via Dropbox and have got as far as getting the draft onto my Scrivener on the iPad, but I get a notification ‘Invalid project. The project has not a correct binder structure files’ (I use Novel format). I’ve looked at the Package settings, and they seem to be correct. Files, Setting and so on with Capital F and S.
When I see the project on my iPad, it looks as if each folder is a separate project, so there must be something wrong with the original project on my Mac? It works fine there, and I am using the save as function to get it over to Dropbox. I am not able to sync any other projects even though I use the save as function to Apps/Scrivener as before.

Help, I’m at my wits end.

What version of Mac Scrivener do you have? The Scrivener -> About Scrivener command will tell you.

Only versions 2.8 and newer support synchronization with iOS Scrivener.

If that doesn’t help, there’s a troubleshooting guide for iOS synchronization here:
scrivener.tenderapp.com/help/kb … os-syncing

And a thorough setup guide for synchronization here:
scrivener.tenderapp.com/help/kb … g-with-ios

Katherine

I am really struggling with this. I am not stupid but I seem to be with all this. I actually do not understand what to do. Can anyone take me through a step by step guide for morons to sync between iMac, iPad and Dropbox. I’m just not getting how to do it. :frowning:

Please look at the setup and troubleshooting guides linked in the post immediately above yours. If that doesn’t help, please either start a new thread or email our support address and explain what you have tried and what is happening.

To contact our support team:
literatureandlatte.com/contact-us

Katherine

If you haven’t already, install the Dropbox app onto your Mac and let it put all the files in your Dropbox into your Dropbox folder on your Mac.
Quit Scrivener.
MOVE YOUR PROJECT to the folder inside your Mac Dropbox folder that you’ve told iOS Scrivener to sync to.

I think this is worth mentioning: The dropbox app on your iOS devices is completely superfluous. The iOS version of Scrivener had to build in access to dropbox, so it doesn’t need or use the Dropbox app on your iphone or iPad. You can certainly have it installed, but the iOS dropbox app is not how you sync your iOS Scrivener to dropbox.

The Mac is completely different. It does not have built-in code to talk to dropbox.com. Instead, you have to install the Mac dropbox app, which creates the dropbox folder on your Mac. The Drobox app then monitors that folder for changes and syncronizes them with the dropbox.com servers. The dropbox.com servers are the middle-men between each of your devices.

If you have your iOS Scrivener app configured to sync with dropbox, that should create a folder for Scrivener that will appear on your Mac (via the Finder) inside the Dropbox folder. That’s where you’ll want to access projects that sync between Mac & iOS devices.

1 Like

3 posts were split to a new topic: Basic cross-platform compatibility between Windows and Mac

3 posts were split to a new topic: Error given: Automatic backup cannot be copied