Version 3: 'Reveal in Binder'

Version 3: I greatly miss the icon for ‘reveal in binder’, which used to appear right above the ruler, beside the last & next arrows in the Editor. Now it’s only on a dropdown menu that requires 3 keys. I use this feature during almost every search. L&L, please restore this icon to the Editor!

I don’t remember this ever being a thing. The only thing that would have been in the position you describe is the icon menu itself. That dropdown menu did a number of things, not just reveal, does that sound right?

It’s worth noting that menu went nowhere, it is still right there. We did however change it to a right-click. It’s more common for that kind of menu to work that way, plus there is now a left-click ability: you can drag the icon and doing so is like dragging it from the binder. So it’s quite useful if in fact the reason you wanted to reveal it is simply to do something with it, like move it into a corkboard in the other split, or make a link to it in the other editor.

I used to use Reveal a fair bit back in the day. Since working in v3 though, I hardly ever use that command. 99% of what I wanted it for is handled by the draggable icon.

I find an inconsisten functionality with Reveal in Binder.

If I’m in scrivenings view of the whole document and I click on a diagram, neither the Navigate> Reveal in Binder nor the keyboard shortcut Win+Shift+R will take me to the image in the binder Research section. But a right click on the diagram produces a ‘Reveal in binder’ option which when clicked DOES take me to the relevant sub-folder in the Research section.

Then I follow this selection of an image with the selection of a text paragraph, and a right click does NOT produce a Reveal in Binder option so I have to revert to the Navigate menu or the Win+Shift+R shortcut which does work.

This looks like a little oversight somewhere?

I’m guessing you have an item in the Draft folder that contains a linked binder image? If so, then it makes sense what you are describing:

• The Navigate ▸ Reveal in Binder command (or using it from the header bar) would reveal the item itself that contains the image—even if that item is nothing but an image.
  • When right-clicking on a linked image and choosing to reveal it in the Binder, then it selects the image itself.

It would perhaps make more sense if the first condition had an image somewhere within 800 words of text or whatever. It would be more clear that it is the chunk of text you are revealing—that there is an image in it doesn’t imply that Reveal should go off and show that image. Consider if you have ten such images in this chunk: which would it reveal? That is why you have to right-click on the image itself, if that is what you are interested in revealing.

Sorry, I might not have been clear. When I mentioned right-clicking I was referring specifically to the header bar icon, or what you were describing as a button between the title and the Back/Forward buttons in the header bar. That icon now must be right-clicked to view the editor functions, rather than left-clicking like in v1. Right-clicking anywhere in the text is only meant to show functions contextually relevant to text editing, just like right-clicking on an image is meant to show contextually relevant image commands.

Thanks for the clarification, AmberV.

And yes, I do have linked images. My current project has 273 so far and I really appreciate the fast access given by right clicking on the image.

A good approach would be to be able to just double-click the thing to Reveal In Binder. Why have to select it from a drop-down when it can be done so simply?

In most cases where you can double-click on something that action is already in use for some other purpose, so it wouldn’t be a reliable approach. In fact the only thing I can think of that doesn’t have a double-click action is in the binder.

I find this a bit niggly as well. Yes, I can right-click and reveal in binder, or use a keyboard shortcut, but , for me , left-clicking on the document icon to reveal in binder is what feels the most intuitive thing to do.