Want to write together this autumn/fall? You've found the right thread

No NiaD, no worries. And no, I don’t require a submission in 24 hours or less.
Tl;dr: I’m looking for people who could collaborate with me over months on this. Writers and researchers — and research organisers! I’ve got more stuff than I could see patterns among. This is a voluntary opportunity.

So a writing project of mine since 2018 was to write A Tale of Three Cities, financial hubs to be precise: New York City, London and Hong Kong. I’ve been to the previous two, so I’ve got some idea how to write them, but not NYC. Apparently I’m trying to outshine Dickens’ Two Cities (Paris and London). Based in the 21st century, so it’s a contemporary epic novel.

The idea is a financial thriller x love story: something like “a young lady learns to avoid making a crook her date but saves a gentleman in jeopardy from peril”. Something to do with Wall Street and stock exchanges and business and some legal stuff, and quite a lot of comedy. The tagline is “Follow the money, follow the love”.

I’ll provide more details to those interested. If you’re intrigued, let me know by replying here!

1 Like

I could be interested I am planning on doing nano in November

1 Like

That’s great! I’m planning on doing NaNo too. I’ll keep you in mind as I get the outline of this project ironed out. Do you have any preliminary expectations for how you’d go about this November’s NaNo?

Keep writing every day and try and finish the novel

1 Like

The girl / leading lady is based in Hong Kong. The hero (male protagonist) and the villain (also male) are based in New York and London respectively. In short: HK girl, NY boy, London boy.

Rough story idea: HK girl entrepreneur and London boy banker, both reputable, were friendly to each other until HK girl discovers London boy is involved in (covering up) financial crime. NY boy is a maverick journalist, like Marmite — either you love him or you hate him — and HK girl, after digging into his life, comes to admire him, and in the end risking herself rescues him from peril, while the London boy meets his doom (thanks to NY boy’s exposé).

I need help with: going through research materials to narrow down on the financial crime on which the story is based, up the stakes, etc.

Originally inspired by A Tale of Two Cities by Charles Dickens — I might want to borrow its ending (spoiler) of Sydney Carton taking the place of his lookalike to the guillotine and replace Carton with the London boy

I expect the finished novel to be similar to these known works of literature: The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo by Stieg Larsson, Matched trilogy by Ally Condie

1 Like

Two more days till NaNoWriMo. I’m so excited to start throwing everything together into a Scriv.

Hi @homeport are you still around? How could I find you on nanowrimo.org? Thanks!

I intend to close this thread due to lack of response. Not sure how that works.