Way to assign multiple labels/tags to one scene?

I am tracking multiple threads through a story. These “threads” intersect. So, a key plot point (label red, for the sake of argument) might occur in the same scene as a key development in a character arc (label green), while a key question for the reader (label orange) may be posed or resolved. A dominant character in a scene or chapter (label blue) or A plots and B plots (labels white and black) may also be tracked. Most scenes will only ever need one label, at most. But, there will be times when these “threads” I’m tracking may converge before they diverge. In these cases, is there a way to assign multiple labels/tags to a scene? If yes, then how would you be able to zoom out and get a visualization of this “map” so I can assess for balance and placement across the story?

Thanks for your help.

A document can only have one label. One and one only.
Use keywords.

Inspector, bottom of the metadata panel

You can then filter documents by those keywords in the outliner view.
Edit / Find / Filter (Ctrl+F under Windows.)

There might be a way to filter by two or more keywords at a time, but that I don’t know.
(I don’t know what the separator would be to insert in the search field.)

Filtered results will display other keywords those documents have.
Giving you somewhat of an overview.

You can also filter the corkboard view the same way.

You can cross filter keywords + label

For better results, you should try and pick keywords that are unlikely to end up in titles or other metadata fields, as I don’t think the filter makes much of a distinction as to where a searched word is.

1 Like

This is very powerful. Thank you so much. When I initially tried, it beeps out when I go to “Find” on MacOS, meaning there is no option to proceed past this to get to the search box. I just need to fiddle around with this. The use of keywords would prove valuable. The ability to cross with a label is potentially very powerful. I will begin to play with this. Thank you so much for such a clear, detailed and helpful response.

1 Like

Click in the outliner first ?
It needs to have focus for the menu command to work.

That was my error. Thanks. This is potentially a useful tool. Will need to experiment and figure out how to leverage over time as I set key words/phrases to track. Thanks!

Need to figure out how to leverage this to identify/visualize patterns across the novel. This will come with time and experience, if possible.

Define “patterns” ?
. . . . . . . . .

Perhaps that is not what you meant, but you can “forge” visual conditions/patterns this way.
You can even use this instead of keywords if you wish. (With some ups and some downs.)
I’d go for a combination of the two. Keywords + custom metadata for refinements.

I could even have left this blank

giving a cleaner column where to see “patterns” emerge :

And of course it doesn’t have to be “weather” (I did that, not the software). Make it whatever you want. Even aliens’ preferred reproduction method if you wish.
And as many different topics as you need.

1 Like

Frequency, appearance and placement of symbols and themes, for example; rhythm and pace; balance of character POV as you switch over course of novel; key and sub-questions placed in reader’s mind propelling story forward (not necessarily plot of character arc dependent); ebb/flow of dramatic tension.

Basically, the elements which comprise a tapestry. Being able to zoom out and look for balance and composition across that tapestry. I recognize I am trying to do something Scrivener is not fundamentally designed to do so just exploring how far I can go.

Then I believe my previous post is straight on.
Use custom metadata.
Create the metadata fields/topics that best represent those values to you, and you’ll get the big picture from looking at the outliner.

I agree. So very helpful! Many thanks for this clear, detailed, and illustrative guidance!

1 Like

The other point is you have for example in metadata or keywords use forshadow then can use inline annotations or comments to highlight specific point of interest in the document. Advantage is both can be stripped out of novel when compile.