Web imports & Favicons

It recently dawned on me that I could use a website’s favicon for Scrivener’s binder document icon, so I downloaded and imported the Wikipedia favicon and applied it to all of my imported wikipedia pages.

Would it be possible to make using the favicon for a site the default behavior when importing websites, so as to bypass the manual importing and applying of these icons?

Unfortunately, the favicon data isn’t included in the URL drag, so I’m not suer how I’d go about grabbing it. It also means creating image data in the user’s project, saving it into the project as a custom icon, which adds clutter without the user’s permission.

and possibly violates legal stuff.

I can’t see how importing a webpage could avoid violating any legalities while using the favicon.ico would run afoul of those very same laws. After all, web browsers download and store every domain’s favicon, as do other applications, such as 1password.

As for how to get it, if you know the url, and can separate out the domain name itself, then the favicon.ico file is just a concatenated string & a http get away. For instance, literatureandlatte.com/favicon.ico

The permission issue is something I can kind of get behind (though Firefox, Safari, Chrome, etc… all copy those icons to my bookmarks without any permission from me), but adding one more tiny icon is hardly going to be an imposition; the user has just then added an entire web page to their project, after all.

In any event, it’s a small thing (literally!), and I’m not going to fight for it if you don’t wanna do it, Keith. I just thought it was quite handy to have icons that I recognize from my web browser’s tabs representing my web imports.

The legal aspect is sketchy on webpages too (it has been an item of discussion here). Browsers are EXPECTED to honor the no-cache pragma and not store indicated items on disk allowing sources to retain control of their assets. While this was originally intended to allow 100% dynamic content to be … 100% dynamic, it has become a protectionist measure for folks with legally protected content.

1password is fundamentally different (in principle) as it is copying YOUR input data, not the site data. the key is the parenthetical.

I’m not espousing any position. I may have some info (based on my occupation and role) that might impact these features going forward.

That said, a TM symbol is legally different than written copy on a webpage. Technically.

So, to read between the lines, both parenthetical and metaphorical, because it’s possibly illegal to archive a webpage for personal use (something that is currently a part of multiple software applications), downloading and storing the favicon (something that is done by multiple current software applications) would be furthering an illegal activity?

(My) Conclusion: Not only should favicons be left out of the webarchive feature of Scrivener, but for the sake of Lit & Lat, the webarchive feature itself should be removed so as to avoid potential legal entanglements. Does match with your thinking on the topic, or am I way off base?

My hope is that this will die long before it becomes remotely enforceable from a legal perspective.

Keep in mind that this would require all browsers to eliminate “save” and “print” functions. Considering the push for “online statements” and “print your receipt” from most business this would be impossible. At worst, there might be a new header entity that would disallow saving or printing of sites. Should that occur then folks like KB would need to honor it…

I hadn’t heard much about “this”, and web searches aren’t proving fruitful. Got a search term that I could use to educate myself?

Would not be available via external search. Probably should have kept my mouth shut.

Although if I read the winds correctly, you may find some early omens in a separate fact: that Mozilla will be crippling their browser by embedding closed-source DRM mechanisms in future Firefox versions…

No comment.

so much for “free” information.