what does this function means?

I’m a french (and new) Scrivener user.

I’ve found a function, which I don’t understand how it works, and I can’t translate the word.
Please look at the attached file to know more, and then if you know the answer tell me how to use this function.

Capture d’écran 2015-12-18 à 15.35.16.pdf (311 KB)

In English, it’s a “word joiner” or non-breaking space. It ensures that a line will not be broken at that point.

You’re unlikely to need it in ordinary text. It’s more likely to be used, say, in code samples or possibly in poetry, where the position of line breaks has meaning.


Thank you Katherine for your answer, but I think there is a misunderstanding.

The “word joiner” is at the line before what I’m looking for.
I already know what a non-breaking space is, and how to use it.

You are correct, sorry for the confusion. I was off by one while checking my English version against your screen shot.

The “word joiner” is the non-breaking space-equivalent for scripts that don’t use spaces. So in Japanese, say, you would use it to prevent a line break, as you would use a non-breaking space in English or French.


Please could you get a screen shot of your english version, to show me how this understanding function is named? Thanks

Sorry to be boring but this function is actually named “Word Joiner”, and that is all.

As Hugh said, it’s just “word joiner.”

You can see the English interface in your own copy of Scrivener by going to the Scrivener -> Preferences -> General pane, and selecting English from the Language menu. Don’t forget to change it back when you’re done.


I apologize for my misunderstanding.

I’ve turned Scrivener into English language; then the word-joiner appeared.

So what I understand now, is that the word-joiner function does the same thing like the non separate space (which is faster to be used with the short cut).

Thanks again for your help