What Is Causing This Cryptic Language To Display?

I have updated, rolled back, and updated the software again. I changed and ensured the language was English, but the main toolbar, title bar, and other places still show the what is gibberish to me.

Please see screenshots.

What is causing this and how can i fix it?

Thank you.


That’s definitely Bulgarian. Are you sure you set the interface to English? I suggest you double check by pressing F12 and set it like this:

Does this help?

Thank you for your help. Yes, the language is set to English. The screenshot is below.

English is my native language, not Bulgarian. If I knew the Bulgarian language, then this would not be a problem.

I have no idea what is going on here, but changing the language setting in the software is not working for me.

Thank you.

This is weird! Just to be sure: did you close and reopen Scrivener after changing the language setting? (You have to completely exit Scrivener, including the Project Selector window).

Assuming you’re using the latest version (1.8.5), the next thing I’d try is to reset all settings to their default values. You can do this by clicking on the yellow button below:

Reset default setting.PNG

Then click OK on the window that opens:

Confirm default settings.PNG

Hope this helps!

Thank you for your help. It turns out that it was none of the above, but an issue that I unwittingly created myself.

I tracked it back to a program which I had recently installed called CryptoPrevent to help prevent against CryptoLocker and similar ransomware. The setting which I had applied is maximum protection and is in beta and also has program filtering. This was creating the issue. Why, is uncertain.

I simply changed the setting and rebooted my system and now Scrivener is back to normal.

Thank you.