What prevents Split Document from working?

Hello all,

Did a cursory search, and cannot find a similar query.

As I write this, the issue resolved itself – seemingly – but then reappeared, so its clearly something I am not doing properly.

It occasionally(?) happens that I cannot “split” a document. The [Documents/Split>] menu item is active, but on passing into the [>], [at Selection] and [with Selection as Title] are greyed out – as per the attached screengrab.

No difference is made when selecting a word, or not.
I only have one document selected in the Binder (the one I want to split), and my view is set to ‘single document’ view, as opposed to Scrivenings view.

To fix this, I do a bit of jumping around between different parts of my project, jump into a different app, come back etc., and eventually, going back to the place where I want to make the [split], the options are selectable again.

Since I don’t know what I am doing wrong, nor what I am doing ‘right’ to get it to be selectable again, anyone with suggestions?
Secondly - just me?

Running Scrivener 3.0.2 (1506) on macOS 10.13.4

There are a few contextual conditions that would cause this command to be disabled, even with the cursor active and blinking in the main text editor:

• If there is nothing after the cursor to split a new document to.
  • If there is nothing before the cursor to split a new document from.

So for example if you select the very first five words of a document, you won’t be able to split.

Those are both fairly intuitive though, so otherwise I don’t know what’s going on, particularly if you don’t move the cursor at all, and merely switching to another program and back causes it to activate.

That’s what has me stumped.

I certainly meet those requirements, in that I typically try and split a 10/16 etc. page document, into two… So, place my cursor in front of a word, at the start of the paragraph, mid-way through the document, and try and [split].

Sometimes I can, other times, I cannot.

Will keep watching then, and see if I can work out what is happening, and pop up thoughts in the event that something useful becomes apparent.

When I was participating in the Mac beta, I encountered a bug and tried to report it. But no matter how many steps I broke it down into, nobody could replicate my problem.

Then I used Quicktime to record my screen when I encountered the problem again, demonstrating what I was doing to replicate the issue. It turns out that I was varying the way I was accomplishing the same task (creating new keywords), and it became clear to those more familiar with the inner workings of Scrivener upon viewing the video.

So, I’d suggest you learn how to record your desktop, and then use that to record yourself having the problem. There may be something in the way you’re interacting with Scrivener that’s causing this problem that will be clear to someone else viewing a video.

Useful suggestion, thank you. Have done it before with other applications, in trying to capture something unusual, so will do so again if this rears its head again.

I guess another condition under which both menu items would be grey is when neither of the editor panes is the active pane (has focus).

gr

I’m trying to split one of my documents, but the option to do so is greyed out. Not sure why - I feel like this is a glitch since I haven’t been able to split ANY document recently. Does anyone have any insight? I’ve shut down and restarted Scrivener.

Looks like someone had this exact issue before, but there was no solution:

To be clear, I am trying to split in the middle of the document, not at the beginning or end.

Here is a screenshot:

You have the focus on the editor ?
Selection or blinking cursor where you want to split ?

Yes for both! The focus is inside the editor and the cursor is where I want to split.

To rule out any weird formatting errors, I would try this:

1. Create a blank new text item in your binder.
  2. Type in a line with a few words, press return, then another line with a few words.
  3. With the cursor at the beginning of the second line, does the command light up, and work?
  4. If so, go back to the section you are not able to split, and copy the whole thing, just ⌘A + ⌘C will do.
  5. Go back to your test document, and use the Edit ▸ Paste and Match Style menu command, to strip out any formatting from the copied text.
  6. Try splitting anywhere within that. Does this work?

Sorry for the huge delay - it ended up working temporarily so I stopped checking this thread. However, recently, it’s not working again.

I tried Steps 1-6 and none of it works. The option to split is still greyed out. I don’t think it’s a formatting error.

I’ve gone ahead and merged this back into the original report, as there appears to be no substantial difference in the description of the problem, and is likely the same thing. Unfortunately nobody ever managed to come up with a way to describe how to reproduce it before, either, so I’m not sure how to proceed, other than the reiterate a good suggestion made before: to run a quick screen capture so that each step you are taking, and the precise contextual conditions involved, can be seen without.