What's in 1.9.5?

I haven’t used Scrivener in a little while, so I haven’t gotten an in-program encouragement to update. I’m seeing lots of problems reported here about font display in v. 1.9.5. I’m wondering what’s in this update, and whether it’s worth doing, or whether it’s a stopgap I don’t really need (on my Windows 7 computers, Scrivener displays just fine), and I should just wait for v. 3. Can anyone point me to a changelog or other indication of what’s new in 1.9.5?

The official changelog is here: https://www.literatureandlatte.com/scrivWinChangeList.php

They’ve changed it so that all the fonts are blurry by default in 1.9.5, which is a bit of a shame, but with the “workaround” of disabling Windows upscaling, it doesn’t look any worse than the previous version (the workaround does make all the UI go back to its previous teeny-tiny size). So, I don’t think that’s a downside to upgrading, you have a choice between “too small, but no worse than before”, or “right size, but blurry”.


There are WAY more problems with fonts than just a blurry display on some super hi-res screens.

My advice would be don’t download the update unless you’re desperate to sync project with an ipad or phone. Let them sort the issues. I haven’t found a way of rolling back and I WISH I hadn’t downloaded it as I now can’t open Scrivener at all and it looks blurred when I do.

Win 7 Pro on Lenova laptop and 1.9.5. works great!

Thanks L&L


NCW’s post (2 before yours) has a link to the change log. You can download 1.9 from there.

Hope that helps,

To be clear, I’m not with Literature & Latte. I’m just a user.

Scrivener is running fine on many (probably most) Windows 10 machines, but apparently requires various tweaking on some. Some of the responsibility may be Scrivener’s, some the PC environments in which Scrivener finds itself running (problematic anti-virus (see below), incompatible cloud sync services other than DropBox, etc.). I’m running 1.9.5 without issue or having to use workarounds or fixes on Windows 10 Pro 64 bit on a larger than normal 4K (3840x2160) display (which may not qualify as a HiDPI situation due to the larger physical size of the display).

A couple of possibilities re the display issues being discussed:

If encountering “Not Responding” or lockups, also see the Fixing “Not Responding” with Compatibility Settings knowledgebase article, which additionally touches on issues encountered if using Avast anti-virus software which may include corruption of/interference with Scrivener download, install and use.
scrivener.tenderapp.com/help/kb … y-settings

Other knowledgebase articles may be of value…
scrivener.tenderapp.com/help/kb … -in-editor
scrivener.tenderapp.com/help/kb … leshooting

As mentioned earlier in this thread, v1.9 is available via link on
literatureandlatte.com/scri … geList.php

A search of the forum may turn up other possibilities.

Directly contacting tech support is an option. Hopefully they aren’t backed up with Scrivern for iOS (which works fine for me) rollout related matters.

Hope the above is of some assistance. If not, apologies, don’t mean to upset or offend.

Thank you both for that information - very helpful. I did see the link to download the previous version again. I am a bit nervous about doing that in case I cause more difficulties - can you please tell me whether that will be like a ‘clean install’ (is that the right term?!) and wipe my settings etc, or whether it will be like an ‘update’ and just keep working seamlessly? Other updates have been great in this way.

Thanks, everyone, for the responses. Based on the changelog, it doesn’t look like 1.9.5 adds anything that I need. I suspect that on Windows 7 it would do no damage; but since it wouldn’t improve anything either, I’ll wait for v. 3.

Hi Tricia,

I’ve had to revert to a prior version once, but it was a while back. Here is what I remember.

It will need to be a clean install. Unfortunately your general cross-project Scrivener settings will likely be wiped. But you can save most of them beforehand. The settings stored inside each project should be fine.

Go to tools / options / Manage / Save Preferences - Save this to a location outside your Scrivener Program folder. This should save all of your Options. (General cross-project Scrivener settings).

Go to Window / Layouts / Layout Manager - Create a Layout, then hit the Gear icon to save it somewhere outside your Scrivener Program folder. (The latest Layout may be stored inside each project, in which case this step is unnecessary.)

Doing the above will save a lot of your settings, but I don’t know if it will save all of them. For instance, Presets or Custom Toolbars - I’m not sure where these are stored.

After doing the above, you will need to uninstall Scrivener, then run the 1.9 install exe, then import the Preferences and see how things look.

As I said, it’s been a while since I’ve done this. Could L&L or a user who has done this recently please chime in if I’ve missed anything? Thanks!


I read several of these posts across the forum over the last few days since the update rolled out. But I am yet to see a single reply from the twelve moderators or techs.

I used to trust Scrivener updates and installed them straightaway. But now, having experienced similar problems in the past, I hold back. Time should be taken by the developer to iron these glitches out before updates are released. I have my own work to do, deadlines to meet, and don’t have time to be a beta-tester for software developers. I guess many out there feel the same.

Yep, there should have been a public beta for 1.9.5. It mucks with the doc font specs to address an IOS sync issue, but without fully mapping the downstream effects for Windows users. Just the challenges of a cross-platform product line. I’m sure it’ll be sorted out ere long.

Reverting to 1.9.0 was a breeze. I simply downloaded and installed it over 1.9.5, and ran “Convert to Default Text Style” against those docs I’d updated in 1.9.5. Happy camper once again.

Rgds – Jerome

Thanks for the info Jim- I really appreciate it.

There is at least this one: [url]https://forum.literatureandlatte.com/t/serious-problem-on-font/34052/1]. There have been an awful lot of threads started, which could have been reduced if folks had looked to see if something resembling their problem had already been reported. I also suspect the techs have been very busy doing e-mail support! But I certainly take your point that they could have found this one before releasing the update.