Where Jaysen tests the patience of Mr Piggy

It isn’t that I can’t read. Or even that I didn’t read. But I don’t like that answer in the FAQ. I’m not arguing the validity of the FAQ. I’m just contentious. I lost my head for very valid reasons.

Start time: You say 0000 GMT which means 1900 GMT-5 right?

Delivery format: Can I request a “micro-scriv” project? I know you are using scriv to manage NiaD. Set the formatting up and I will promise not to change anything other than the editor “view” (I like extra space to SHOW between paragraphs but not a hard return).

Vic-k: How many of vic-k’s identities can be harmed in the writing of a chapter?

Oh, good.

The very first post of the NiaD 4.0 sign up thread has some links you can click on that will tell you what the start time is for your location. The reason I’m directing you to that than simply say that the start time in a GMT-5 zone is [time] because different countries switch in and out of Daylight Saving Time on different dates, and that occurs round about the date of our event. The links will have already factored these kinds of anomalies and confusions into account.

Because you’re too lazy to import the docs into Scrivener yourself and you don’t think I’m doing enough already?! :stuck_out_tongue:

Seriously though, this was something that we discussed doing this year. Ultimately we decided not to because Scrivener is all about letting people set things up the way that suits them rather than imposing my preferred layout and structure.

I’m going to go with ‘none’. I wouldn’t want to steal the scope of the forum’s other collaborative writing thread… the three word story!

I’m glad you approve. I try to accommodate. I just get bored easily.

You read the preamble? I’m just contentious? But yeah, I saw that link. I even clicked on it. I guess I need to be clearer. I’m not sure why you can’t read my mind…

I should expect my packet at the site provided time of 1900gmt-5 and can begin stressing about why your plot and characters are not to my liking a 1900.30gmt-5.

Only reason I’m asking is the boss wants to know when to start avoiding me. I recommended everyday between the hours of 0800 and 1600, but then I remembered she’s the coffee fairy that magically refills my cup.

My lazy has less to do with it than my hope you will forget to remove critical points of the REST OF THE NIAD! Jeesh, even headless people can dream…

I am less concerned about “structure” than about formatting. Yes, paste and match style… Will you at least provide a precreated compile setting for download?

I said harm not kill. Some of his personalities seem to … like it. You’ve read the 3WS haven’t you?

Times
Well, your free to start stressing about the plot and the characters now if you want! But yes, the plan is to have all the draft emails sitting ready to go, and then to start pressing send on them at about 5 minutes to midnight, London time. I know what I said earlier, but there’s no point stressing about anything until then.

Compile settings
N’ah I’ll let you figure all that out yourself!

Vic
You do intend to actually write the brief your given, right?!?!

3WS
Actually… Not for a while I don’t think. :blush:

But Jaysen, this is Scrivener we’re writing in. The compile settings only matter for compile and so are irrelevant to us keyboard mules. You could write in 18 point Wing Dings and compile your chapter to 6 point Zapfino along the way and it wouldn’t make a split of difference to pig boy. He’ll do what he wants with it.

As for stressing about plot and characters, no need to wait 'til 30 seconds after the scheduled start, you can worry now! You’ve got a whole month of gnawing anxiety to savour, noticing the worry slowly build until it peaks just under blind panic when the actual brief comes through. For at least 10 minutes after reading the email you know you can’t do it and will let everyone down. And then, after some cunningly planned (ahem) procrastination, the panic subsides and you begin to see ways you might make it work and, even you still don’t think you can do it, you can at least put a few of those ideas down and submit something… And then, a few hours later, you have something that can be tweaked into something submittable. When you finally finish and submit, although relieved that it’s done, the anxiety remains because you are confident that everyone else will be so much better. And then the novel is published and you read it and it’s so much fun that you forget the anxiety and get intrigued by the plot and the way other people interpreted their character briefs. When you read your own chapter and see every typo, misspelling and historical/stylistic/genre error SCREAMING at you from the screen, you realise that it’s OK and fits in with the rest of the novel (who knows, maybe someone will even use a quote from your chapter in their forum sig). And then you realise you had fun and you start wonder if there’ll be a NIAD next year…

It’s all KiWCS and bosoms and singing and my mum and Morris dancers and Belinda and tea cosies. Compelling reading.

Why would I do that?

If you don’t think I can get a few of vic-k’s persona into a chapter, you haven’t been paying attention. I can even do it while staying on topic.

If I have to.

Aren’t you supposed to be chasing cats or something? Or is it rats? which one is it that terriers go after?

I suddenly wonder if lack of grey matter will be a problem with the need for expanded worry…

Piggy,

The FAQ makes no mention of the NiaD Muse responsibilities. My Muse is attempting to “make plans” for Oct 25. Can you please inform said muse that NiaD is the sole priority of the day and each muse is expected to assist said muse’s participant in ANY way necessary?

You do NOT want to see what will be out put if there is insufficient coffee.

All life’s problems can be resolved with a Rocky quote.

And if that doesn’t work, deploy:

If your wife is not suitably convinced by any argument that involves NOT ONE but TWO Rocky quotes, well then I think you should seriously question whether you’re married to the right person.

While a Rocky quote or 7 are unlikely to convince the boss, there is no doubt in my mind as to the “rightness” of my partner. Although I’m afraid that the above quotes may raise the question in her mind…

As a back-up to PF’s Rocky Quote suggestion (credit where credit is due, that has the appearance of pure genius*), you could perhaps remind your dearest that plans that can be made can also be amended. To maximise potential for success, you may first want to remind her of several recent sacrifices you have made (it’s important that they’re at least within the last, say, 5 years. I know it’s weird, but apparently sacrifices you made when dating no longer count), ideally where your plans were amended to cater to her every desires. If there are no such examples then… try a third Rocky quote?

[size=85]*However, while appearance is important, I just tried the quotes on my wife and her response was underwhelming: Perhaps best described as mild bemusement followed by a condescending smile and a change of topic. I guess that counts for something although it has prompted me to post additional ideas just in case your wife displays similar immunity to the power of Rocky.[/size]

In that case I suggest you go with this wonderful third Rocky quote:

Nom, Did you get the “do you really want to compare lists?” response? I opted out of the comparison as I feel that will put me in an unrecoverable position.

Piggy, I’m beginning to wonder if you are the best person to take advice from. As inspirational as Rocky maybe, I begin to fear for my head (flying pans) and my voice (poor imitation of Mr Balboa at best). Can we find something more to my … style. Say Larry the Cable Guy? Or Ace Ventura? Maybe Elmer Fudd? I think I can pull those off better.

Even it a case like this Rocky is your saviour:

Thanks. I’ll send the medical bill to you…

I’ll be glad to dispose of it properly. :wink:

In case it wasn’t obvious, I’m a big fan of the Rocky movies!
pigfender.com/index.php/2014 … rom-rocky/

Didn’t make it that far, the change of topic was abrupt. Although clearly the comments had some impact because later on there was reference to my Stallone-as-Rocky impersonation. It seems there are many aspects to condescension: I learned several that night. :blush:
Heaven help if I’d tried The Pigfender Rocky Method in a moment of need rather than curiosity.

Cruel. Just cruel.
(But wouldn’t you want to be a fly on the wall to see the response?)