Wildcards in File Split?

Hi all,

Just wondering: I have a large .doc file that I need to Import and Split. It is pretty simply delineated; it always has two carriage returns, then a section heading, then two carriage returns, and the actual text. Trouble is, I wanted to split the file at every section heading, and have the heading included in the split file, but all the split dialogue lets me specify for splits is a static text field, in which I can enter the carriage returns, sure, but I tried that – what I got was a file that contained just the header, then a file that contained text, then another file that contained just a header, and so on. Is there a way to make Scrivener split at, say, <any_string>

(to use html), instead of just one static line of text?

If not, let me be the first to say that this would make a GREAT feature in a future release. Anybody with any answer, I’d love to hear it.

Yours truly,
Andy

So you’ve got something that looks like this?

Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetur adipisicing elit, sed do eiusmod tempor incididunt ut labore et dolore magna aliqua. Ut enim ad minim veniam, quis nostrud exercitation ullamco laboris nisi ut aliquip ex ea commodo consequat. Duis aute irure dolor in reprehenderit in voluptate velit esse cillum dolore eu fugiat nulla pariatur. Excepteur sint occaecat cupidatat non proident, sunt in culpa qui officia deserunt mollit anim id est laborum.

SCENE HEADING

Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetur adipisicing elit, sed do eiusmod tempor incididunt ut labore et dolore magna aliqua. Ut enim ad minim veniam, quis nostrud exercitation ullamco laboris nisi ut aliquip ex ea commodo consequat. Duis aute irure dolor in reprehenderit in voluptate velit esse cillum dolore eu fugiat nulla pariatur. Excepteur sint occaecat cupidatat non proident, sunt in culpa qui officia deserunt mollit anim id est laborum.

If so, I don’t see how your suggestion would fix anything as there are still two split breaks in here as defined by your pattern.

…id est laborum.\n\nSCENE HEADING\n\nLorem ipsum dolor…

You’d still get SCENE HEADING in its own item. What you really need is regular expressions here, but those haven’t been implemented yet, so wildcard searching isn’t straightforward, let alone pattern or categorical wildcard searching.