Windows 1.5.3.0 Update Released 5th Feb 2013

After many months of beta testing, we are very proud to announce that Scrivener for Windows version 1.5.2.0 is now available as a free update. This update adds some great features that were previously only available in the Mac 2.0 upgrade. We hope you are as excited as we are with the new features and improvements all round.

Here is a list of new features:
- Scrivener is much faster and more robust

• Additional supported languages now include:- Traditional Chinese, German, Italian, Turkish and Dutch
  • OPML Import
  • OPML export
  • Mind map import (Freemind .mm format)
  • Mind map export (Freemind .mm format)
  • CSV export
  • Import and Split functionality
  • Import Scrivener Project functionality
  • Image background (texture) in full screen
  • Comprehensive Print preview functionality
  • Print index cards
  • Print outliner
  • Inspector comments and footnotes
  • Revised annotation, footnote and comments options
  • Ability to set your own user interface font
  • Added multi-language smart quotes functionality including:- Japanese, Korean, Chinese, German and more.
  • Implemented Cancel within Compile dialog i.e. changes are no longer saved when Cancel is clicked
  • Project and Preset Replacements added to Compile dialog
  • Deleting Scrivener project files within the directory of an open Scrivener project is now prevented
  • Options->General - added checkbox to show full project path in title bar
  • Added “Take Snapshot” menu item in header bar i.e. right click document icon to see sub menu and added ability to sort snapshots
  • Improved debug and incorporated minidump crash reporting
  • Improved tables and font handling throughout
  • Improved eBook handling throughout including CSS support
  • Image import improvements - WMF still remains unsupported like Mac, but we will get it soon
  • Windows 8 compliant

Bug fixes
- Over a 100 smaller bug fixes

Important Notes
If you experience any issues with the new 1.5 release that prevent you from working as you have become accustomed then you can always uninstall 1.5.x and install the previous version (1.2.5.0). You can find previous versions of Scrivener for Windows here: literatureandlatte.com/scriv … -2-5-0.exe

Work in Progress
Our community of wonderful translators are now working on translations to: Simplified Chinese, Slovenian, Hungarian, Swedish, Greek, Spanish, Danish, French, Norwegian, and Korean. We have also made very good progress with Scrivener for Android - phone and tablet, and are progressing well towards Scrivener 2.0.
Regards

Getting the Update
In Scrivener, from the Help Menu select ‘Check for Updates…’ and follow the prompts.

Lee & Tiho

5th Feb 2013

Hi Folks,

Have downloaded and partway thru the install got a BSOD. Now on reboot and scriv restart am getting

“The version of this file is not compatible with the version of Windows you’re running. Check you computer system infromation to see whether you need an x86 (32-bit) or x64 (64-bit) version of the program, and then contact the software publisher.”

I used the update facility on Scriv in order to download it so no manual selection of anything.

Running Windows 7 premium SP1. 64 bit.

Any ideas?

Thanks

Hi all,

Got this sorted now. Weirdly the uninstaller was corrupted as well as the file. Just in case this happens to anyone else what I did was…

Installed a second copy over the top of the first which installed the uninstaller. Prog still didn’t open.
Ran uninstaller
Ran installer.

Bingo!

Thanks for the help
Cathey

I just updated, and now I can’t find the projects I had already started. Help!

When you first create a project, you choose a location to save it. By default this is your user Documents folder, so if you don’t remember where you saved the I’d check there first. If you don’t see them, try just using the Windows search from the Start menu/screen to search for either the name of your project or “scriv”–the latter will turn up more than just your projects, but you should see some MyProjetName.scriv folders among the results and you can then right-click and check Properties to view the location.

Great! Update install worked fine. No problems until now. A minor thing, I changed from german to english and some menus still were in german. (View->Collections->Mappe|Suchergebnisse).

Keep it up. Now the iPad version… :wink:

Can you provide an update download link that lets me update manually? My update fails at around 43% of the download, on each of three separate tries. They built-in download isn’t refreshing itself automatically. It just times out and leaves you with nothing. It’s maddening.

Let me download it from my browser or FTP utility, and that way I’ll get the entire file down before some network glitch wipes me out.

You can download the 1.5.3 installer from the main page of the website; here’s a direct link. You can just install that over your existing copy, though I recommend uninstalling first for a cleaner update.

Thanks! That did the trick!

(I didn’t see such a link when I went to the site. Google glasses help me now!)

Hey Guys,

I just discovered the new shortcut for “Learn Spelling”. Thank you so, so much for this!! :slight_smile:

Sarah

since the update, I’ve noticed that everytime I try to copy or paste anything into or out of a document, the entire application closes. Help?

I do a lot of remote writing and need to be able to put stuff in when I’ve been working on Drive or someplace.

Thanks!
Chris

Hi Chris–This sounds like a compatibility issue; some other users have experienced it also. If you’re running Constant Guard by XFINITY or another antikeylogger sort of program that intercepts keyboard input (sometimes installed as part of other security software), try disabling it or whitelisting Scrivener.

Constant guard managed to find its way onto my machine- and I haven’t bothered to take it off yet. Now I’ll have to do so.

Thank you so much for taking the time to answer my question. You guys really have a great product value going- an excellent customer service makes it all the better!

cmm

I am delighted to see that the new release supports mindmap imports from Freemind.
I tend to use Freeplane rather than Freemind for mindmaps; Freeplane is a branch off from Freemind and uses the same file extension (.mm). Does anyone know if Freeplane mindmaps can also be imported into / exported from the new Scrivener?
Thank you!

Yes Scrivener recognises Freeplane as I’ve used it with Scrivener. Fantastic to use them together.

Yes Scrivener recognises Freeplane as I’ve used it with Scrivener. Fantastic to use them together.

I just registered.

I have version 1.0.3. In Help/Check for updates I find that there is a new version 1.5.3.0. I click on Update.

The progress bar works its way to 99%, then I get a system error:

Microsoft Visual C++ Runtime Library
Runtime Error!
Program C:\Program Files\Scrivener\Scrivener.exe
abnormal program termination

I tries it twice with the same error.

Um Windows XP, SP3, and I also have the Visual Studio Dev Suite installed, Version 6.

OH yeah! That’s an easy one to fix. You need the C++ library from microsoft:

microsoft.com/en-us/download … px?id=5555

Note you’ll need the 2010 one, not the 2008 like the REadme says.

Maybe easy, but it did not work. Same error in the same place.

I downloaded the installer manually, ran it, and now I have the updated version.