Windows 10

Just download Scrivener but it will not install. The install files is in my download folder and tries to open but doesn’t install on my Windows 10 PC.

I saw some comments about this on Amazon, but I usually don’t have problems with installation.

Any comments? Suggestions?

What kind of processor do you have? Scrivener runs on Windows 10, but not on every kind of machine, like some of the hybrid tab-tops.

I’m running a Dell PC desktop and gone through all of the security settings and firewalls and it will not open.

I tried it on a Dell Laptop Win-10, no problem.

I ran a trial on this machine a year ago, no problem, did uninstall, tried installs from Amazon and L&L

A 5 min install has taken me hours with no success.

Have you tried running the installation file as administrator?

What does it do? When you click on the file do you get any error message? any feedback at all? If so, tell us what it says. If not, try right clicking and select OPEN, as there might be a double click issue.

If that fails, reboot and try again.

If that fails, download again.

Normally, if something doesn’t work, there is an error message.

This sounds like over-active security software.

Can you temporarily suspend any real-time scanning which your security software might be doing (file access and process protection, if you have both in your security suite) and try it again? I have seen these kinds of products get overly protective and interfere with installing or loading third party software from time to time.

Hi, it seems like I’m having a similar issue. I noticed the other night that Scrivener would not open. I tried setting the compatibility mode settings and running as administrator, but I could not get it to open, and there were no errors generated in the Windows logs. I tried to uninstall from add/remove programs menu, and the uninstaller never popped up.
I tried reinstalling, and that also fails, but it does get me the error below:
Faulting application name: Scrivener-installer (1).exe, version: 1.9.7.0, time stamp: 0x4e981d6f
Faulting module name: wintab32.DLL, version: 3.2.0.3, time stamp: 0x54388f05
Exception code: 0xc0000094
Fault offset: 0x00003ded
Faulting process id: 0x928
Faulting application start time: 0x01d2a64a928f1650
Faulting application path: D:\Users\Brendan\Downloads\Scrivener-installer (1).exe
Faulting module path: C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\wintab32.DLL
Report Id: 7a5b4fd8-caff-46ae-bbf8-96f66ae775cf
Faulting package full name:
Faulting package-relative application ID:

Same thing with the antivirus, Windows Defender in my case, off.

Any clues?

I have some more information for my case, at least.
I sometimes use two monitors at home, but not always. Scrivener will open while I have only one monitor on, but will fail to open while I have both on. Once it opens, I can turn on the second screen, move Scrivener to it, open other projects, and everything works fine. While it’s inconvenient, it is pretty easy to work around.
I tested at my office, where I also have Windows 10 and multiple monitors, and there was no issue.
Anyway, I hope this little workaround works for some other folks as well.

It seems I have the similar issue with multiple screens configuration although on Windows 8.1.

Usually I work using desktop monitor and notebook screen turned off, i.e. on the “Second screen only” mode. If I try to launch Scrivener without external monitor, it goes somewhere out of the screen. The only possibility is to kill the process and restart with desktop monitor connected. Both monitors have the same resolution.

Windows handles an extended screen with some code plus x,y coordinates that extend across both screens. So, if you put a window on a second screen with a 1920 pixel X axis, it could be at location Minus 1500 (to the left) or perhaps 2200 (to the right). Windows does not care whether the screen exists in YOUR reality or not. It exists in its reality. There is malware on websites that does autofill of form information for credit card and other information off the part of the screen you can see.

Programs remember the xy coordinates they were last on. So it is not uncommon for programs to open on the secondary screen whether it is on or off.

This is something people using 2 monitors (especially with a laptop) need to be cognizant of.

It is not my case, as I think. I use Second screen only option so I don’t have the space with extended coordinates. I have no any issues with other applications regardless of the active monitor - each time window position is saved and restored correctly.

Have you recently updated it?