Working offline and saving to iPad

I’m so excited by the new IOS version, I can’t even tell you. I’m leaving the day after tomorrow on a week long trip where I will have no internet access. I have already set up Scrivener to sync to my PC from my IPad and it works beautifully. My question is this: how do you save to the iPad without syncing to Dropbox? Does it just save locally on the iPad, automatically if I’m offline? Do I have to click save somewhere? I intend to write at least a few chapters while offline and I want to make sure all of my changes are safe and I don’t accidentally delete all of my work by exiting the app or turning off my iPad. Thanks!

Yes, everything is automatically saved locally on the iPad. (Whether you’re connected to the internet or not.) I’d be sure to click ‘Done’ when done editing a specific file, just to be safe, but in my experience as a beta tester the local save ‘just works.’

Note that Dropbox synchronization will not happen automatically. You’ll need to explicitly tell Scrivener to sync once you’ve reconnected with the internet.

Katherine

Hi Katherine >> just want to be clear on the following scenario:

I leave for holiday, somewhere in deepest Borneo, to finish up my draft. No internet connectivity.
Everything is therefore stored locally on my iPad.
On the flight back, my battery dies. Still no syncing back up to Dropbox.
I get home, whilst iPad is charging, I open up that same project on my Mac, and make some minor changes.
Those changes syncs up to the cloud/Dropbox.

I then power up the iPad.
It then phones home, to Dropbox.

What happens now?

Does the upload happen regardless, resulting in an automatic conflict situation over in Dropbox?
Or is there some form of comparison PRIOR to any uploading/downloading?
In other words, lets assume I wrote in Chapter 5 on my iPad - and this is YET to be synced.
Meanwhile in that project on my Mac, and wrote a paragraph in Chapter 1 >> does a conflict occur because it compares the packet metadata at the top level, or would it examine down ‘in the weeds’ so to speak (look at changes in Chp 1 / 2 / 5 (file a/b/c/d) etc.)?

Obviously the safest is to simply keep tabs of where you were last/what device you were on, and when you synced last - and work with that in mind… However, no doubt there will be users across multiple devices, and there might be gaps of weeks between usage of those, then the possibility of inadvertently syncing one ‘out of order’ does become a reality.

Please realise, I’m not being critical at all, and am absolutely not implying that something else should be done - the few hours I’ve spent with it already, the sync is rock-solid and easy to understand - I realise there will (and should be) always be an element of user-operation-overview >> just want to try and get as informed as possible, in order to decide how best to manage things this end…

Hope this is something that can be answered without too much hassle - appreciate all the assistance!

I just tested your question, it seems to send the sheet to a CONFLICTS folder on the bottom of your Binder. I really dislike that many programmers call this “sync” when using DropBox, it’s more of an upload and download. It’s fine for me and I’ve learned how to navigate it, but newer users will get confused. It’s very different than sync in iCloud, but I also understand why iCloud can’t be used here. [b]So the things to remember are:

1. Only have the file open on one device at any given time
  2. When you are done with a file, save and close it all the way. If on iOS, sync it if you can.
  3. If you aren’t sure if you synced your document on iOS, go back and do that before you open the file somewhere else.

[/b]
I can totally see what you described as happening, always read the pop-up warnings about conflicts, don’t just click through quickly. I think Scrivener has done a great deal of work with addressing this sync issue, it handles it very intelligently. With iCloud, you’d probably lose all of the information on the iOS device (just a guess) because the newer version was from your Mac and it would overwrite what’s in the cloud, and then I would cry… :cry:

Many thanks for giving it a go - and confirming.
Useful tips those for all to keep in mind.

And I must echo what you ended with - it’s not difficult to get right with a bit of discipline/caution, which - after a while - will simply be ‘how it works’…
It’s working a treat, even with my atrocious internet at the moment, resulting in constant time-outs, I simply keep hitting the sync button, and slowly but surely the files to be downloaded number gets lower each time, and eventually, all is where it should be, how it should be.

Oh gosh, I understand. I have a friend who travels for work and finds himself regularly without a decent connection. I haven’t used any of the other third-party apps that work with Scrivener, there are some good ones from what I’ve read, maybe one of those can help improve with the sync? I’m wondering if maybe they just sync only the actual edited text file and only uploads that one instead of uploading 19 like I just saw.

Note that the metadata for a file can change even if the text hasn’t. When you see more ‘changed’ files than you expect, that’s probably why.

There are no supported tools for directly editing a Scrivener project other than Scrivener itself. All other applications are strictly at your own risk. (Applications that use the ‘Sync with External Folder’ feature are fine, though using them and iOS Scrivener for the same project on the same device seems potentially dangerous to me.)

Katherine

Amen, Sister! Yeah, I’ve tried it. My basic advice is “Don’t cross the streams…” IF you’re careful and don’t edit the same thing in your external folder editor that you do in iOS Scriv, then iOS Scrivener will sync first when you open up the project on your Mac/PC, and then External Folder Sync will fire, and all will be well… But if you’ve edited the same doc in both iScriv and External Folder incarnations, well, I didn’t lose any work, just many minutes of frustration while I sorted all the conflict files. I didn’t report it as a bug as I considered it operator hubris.

Thanks very much for your replies! Very much appreciated. :slight_smile: