Working with and referring to figures

I am trying to figure out how to properly refer to my figures and tables and such without giving it the number already because I want Scrivener or MMD to do this at the end. I already checked some topics such as this one, this one, and with regards to MMD this one but that left me with some questions.

So I was wondering two things, first, if I do not use markdown. Is this feature of writing <$n:figure:name_of_figure> also available in the Windows version? I have been testing with it, but it doesn’t seem to work for me. The tag just remains as it is instead of transforming into a number.

Based on this sentence and my testing I would guess it is not available in windows. Is there another way to accomplish something similar without using markdown?

Second, if it isn’t possible without markdown, how am I exactly supposed to refer to the images.
I haven’t really written in markdown yet, but I am trying to explore it and see if it fits me. Right now I dragged and dropped in an image and wrote the caption between square brackets after the image as suggested in one of the above topics. The image ended up in the .fotd file, but the caption wasn’t recognised as such. So I decided to explore the mmd file and noticed it ended up like this:

[The interactions of the users with the different Facebook pages]

(some more text)

[be-like-interactions]: be-like-interactions.png width=445px height=326px[/code]
While I think this is what should be happening:

[code]![The interactions of the users with the different Facebook pages][be-like-interactions.png]

(some more text)

[be-like-interactions.png]: be-like-interactions.png width=445px height=326px [/code]
What am I doing wrong here?

So then, if I want to refer to the images how should I do this? If I write something like or this text completely disappears in the .fotd file, so I am guessing I am doing something wrong.

Thanks in advance!


An additional note.
If I write down the following, the image will show up but the reference disappears as well. (The be-like-interactions after [be-like-interactions] is a scrivener link to the image in the research folder)

[code]# test.

![This is the caption of the be like interactions image][be-like-interactions]

[be-like-interactions]: be-like-interactions width=500px

As we can see in there is a lot.


The more complex numbering tokens have not been implemented on Windows yet, so unless you defer this task to the post-compile phase of the project (and likely, after all of the work it would take to wire up captions and cross-references, you would not be returning to Scrivener for this document), or as you say, to use MMD, which has all of this built into its syntax.

Adding an MMD caption wasn’t implemented when they updated MMD support, either. So if you need a caption you need to type in your own MMD image syntax and hyperlink to the graphic you want to include, from the Binder (it sounds like you have that technique figured out already).

As for the cross-reference itself: these are like normal links, you have visible text that is linked to something, not a discrete link object that exists between letters. The visible text goes within the square brackets.

Thanks AmberV.

I was reading in an (old) manual available from this thread. There they talked about the way and that it refers then to ‘Figure 5.2’ for instance. Is that something that isn’t available anymore? Or is that only when you run the MMD via LaTeX?

Okay yes, the way links are handled in ODT is different from how they are handled in LaTeX. In LaTeX, the placement of the brackets is somewhat arbitrary unless you intend to also publish the piece in a form where the hyperlink would be visible. The brackets don’t do anything in LaTeX, the link and figure/section/table number you are referring to is placed in parentheses after the reference point, and thus it can be left empty if you really want to.

I’ve wondered why the ODT export doesn’t use a more expressive cross-reference system than simple links, but I’ve noticed that Pandoc does similar with its .docx export, so maybe it is just difficult to insert proper cross-references that display the figure number at the point of the link.

It might be worth asking about on the MultiMarkdown board. There may be a switch that I’m not familiar with (I don’t use the FODT format for much, myself, I’m more well acquainted with LaTeX).