Are you a writer with cats?

• Yes, many!
  • Only one, but I’d like more.
  • Only one, and that’s someone else’s.
  • Don’t care for cats.

0 voters

Years ago, when I was sick, someone got me this book:

amazon.com/Cat-Shoulder-Lisa … 951&sr=1-1

about writers and their cats. It was a good read.

So, today, I’m wondering… how many writers here have cats?

I have two, only due to constrained circumstances. Which is why I don’t currently have a dog, since I like them equally well. But they are different experiences, so I was wondering…

How many writers here have cats?

I have a pair. When it’s chilly in the house, one of them likes to perch on my chest while I write in my recliner, stealing my body heat. The other demonstrates various relaxation positions and techniques whilst I bang out words to make the money to buy his cat food. Just when I start to appreciate the unjustness of this state of affairs, one or the of them starts purring and I immediately forget what I was resentful ab-- uh, what was I saying again?

We have a singular ancient Siamese (she’s going on twenty). Right now she’s stretched out in the front window soaking up sunshine. Later on, she’ll morph into Clingy Beast and demand lap for most of the evening.

At dusk we get the ahem melodious Siamese reminder that it’s supper time.

It’s interesting how she’s changed over the years (we got her when she was just one year old), but she’s still a little sweetheart when she wants to be. :smiley: She’ll come into my office later on in the afternoon and snooze in the chair I have (after, of course, the obligatory cuddle with lots of scritches).

:smiley:

Sorry, can’t stand 'em. I’m a dog man (and I have two).

Two Bengals, slowly tearing this rental townhouse apart.

No, they’re not that bad. Just very loud and playful.

Two cats here. I’ve gotten fairly adept at typing with both cat and laptop on my lap, and my wrist used as chin rest. It’s only when the cat uses the mousepad as a chin rest, or shoves his face under my moving fingers to insist on a scratch, that it gets awkward.

Neither cats nor dogs. No animals at all.

Werebear,

You left out the possibility that want but cannot have one. My son is very allergic to cats so… no cats.

Iain

Like cats but am allergic. I much prefer dogs anyway. I’ve loved dogs since before I could say the word ‘dog’ (i.e., when I was very little) and have had them all my life. Cats are nice and I like them fine, but I would only want a cat that acted like a dog! :slight_smile:

I like dogs, but I cant have one, because the cat wont let me. Im sure she thinks she is a dog. I once watched her chase a pair of foxes from the back garden and another time, she launched herself at a lone fox, and wrestled it to the ground, before it escaped over the garden fence. Its not as though shes a big cat, she isnt, and, shes quite timid. She also follows me around, just like a dog. Experts say cats dont respond to the human voice the way dogs do, they dont understand words like dogs. Well my cat has a far greater grasp of the English language than I have and a range of facial expressions that leave nothing to the imagination. And just like some of you, my lap doesn't belong to me, once Ive sat down.

Vic

“everybody” says that cats are aloof and can’t be trained and don’t understand human voice and don’t want human contact. I say those people have never tried.

If you get a cat then ignore it because you assume the above is true, of course it’s going to end up aloof, shy, and untrained.

One of my cats walks on a leash and will roll over for a treat, both sit for their dinner and understand some commands. They greet strangers with curiosity and befriend them quickly. Some people call that “acting like a dog”; I say they are simply well-socialized cats.

What janra said. Our cats are very affectionate with us and greet us at the door when we get home. They are a little shy around strangers, but very friendly once they realize someone is safe. (As opposed to contractors who make scary crashing noises.)

The difference between cats and dogs, IMO, is that cats are inherently independent hunters, not part of a pack. They appreciate and reciprocate affection, but it has to be on their own terms.

Katherine

Cats… animals generally… yuck! If I wanted to look after more living beings, I’d have more babies or become a school teacher! :slight_smile:

Yes, that’s my point, too. With one kid here and the next one coming I wouldn’t want another thing crawling on the floor - although I grew up with lots of cats and would really like to have some again … sometime.

No dogs for me. Never.

Of course you all know what they say about cats, don`t you?
Dogs treat you like one of the family, whereas cats treat you like one of the staff!

so, I take it you’re a dog person then, vic?

Two cats: Rasputin, aptly named for both looks and character, and Bandit, the world’s
most prolific hunter.

One dog: inherited from number one son whose girlfriend had the brilliant idea of
giving him a puppy one Christmas. But like most 24 year olds (at least mine) he
wasn’t planning to lead a stable enough life after school to allow him to keep it.
Actually, we’ve grown quite fond of Jake (the dog).

Four kids: (two girls, then two boys), only one of whom, our younger son, still lives
at home. The 24-year old (Jake’s real master) is in the rotating resident period
of his life. Our two girls are out and about and leading very full lives of their own.

Best to all — cat, dog, and baby lovers.

Tim

Any turtle, fish, or lizard lovers out there?

One cat, Devon Rex named Platon. We are thinking on getting another one this winter, and I guess we don’t have a choice but to name him Sokrates.

I used to have a cat named Marzipan, and I loved her dearly. Alas, the place where I now live does not allow pets unless you have a medical reason to own one, so I am catless. I completely agree with Janra & Katherine. Cats get an undeserved rep for being “stupid” and aloof, but it is really more about psychology than anything else (and human misunderstanding). Dogs have a more humanistic affection response, and because of their ancestry, tend to play in a manner that is more like a human child. This is largely due to, as pointed out, the fact that they are pack hunters. That is also why a healthy dog smells and a healthy cat is odourless. Dogs use the smell of each other to keep track of the pack while they are hunting. Since cats hunt alone, they do not have the advantage of numbers, and must use stealth. Their saliva acts as a deodorant and antibacterial (which is why they groom so often) and have retractable claws to further mask their presence.

This has a big impact in how they play with us. Cats are content to pounce upon something and then play with it alone once they have it in their paws, whereas dogs like to share their plunder. That said, some cats are more “dog-like” than others. Marzipan loved to play fetch with me, and she was extremely intelligent; able to open doors and was very aware of what was off-limits and what was okay to play on. As with Katherine, she would greet me when I came home, whining until I picked her up. Cats have a big “vocabulary,” something around 200 to 300 different sounds, and once you learn the basics of their speech, it is possible to know their mood and what they want.

I also like how low-maintenance a cat is. With an indoor dog, it is impossible to take a weekend trip without bring them along. A cat can be left alone and it will take care of itself. They can even be toilet trained!

In context to writing, having a furry warm thing in your lap that is equipped with sharp claws and capable of giving you an angry look if you so much as move is a good way of keeping you on task! Without a cat, I tend stand up and pace a lot more. :slight_smile: The only drawback is when she would try to type for me!

Sigh. I miss having a cat.

Ha ha. Clearly you’ve never tried training a Saluki :wink: