"Writer's App" Free for limited time

I just came across this online. I haven’t used it, but thought some of you here might like to check it out. The price is right!

The Writer’s App (iPhone): writersapp.thomassillmann.de/en/

Free always gets my attention. I may not be genetically Scot-Irish. But culturally I’m their kin. (The Perrys seem to have lived all over the UK. That fits, since the name may come from Peregrine, which means wanderer.)

I downloaded the app and it already seems quite useful. You can get to it in iTunes here:

itunes.apple.com/us/app/writers- … mt=8&ls=1#

Currently it is at version 1.2, which means it’s just beginning. What you can enter looks very useful: details about a book’s plot, premiss and plot along with chapters, characters, places and general notes. What it needs most now are export capabilities. There seems to be no way to get what is in it out.

[b]Writers App would much, much more useful for Scrivener users if those export capabilities worked well with Scrivener. Using OPML export into a DropBox folder, for instance, the Chapter list could create Scrivener documents with their synopsis becoming the synopsis for each chapter/document. Characters, Places and Notes could come in as separate documents in the research folder. Nice!

It’d also fit well with the Scrivener ‘small chunk’ way of writing if the chapters themselves could be further broken up into scenes and imported into Scrivener as subdocuments.
[/b]

It works with all iPhones, iPads and iPod touches that run iOS 4.3 or later, so if you qualify on that score, you might want to check it out. I’ve been using generic text editors to take notes on book ideas, but the writing focus of this app might convert me into to using it, particularly if I could export directly into Scrivener.

–Michael W. Perry, author of Untangling Tolkien

Hello guys!

My name is Thomas Sillmann and I’m the developer of the “Writers App”. I’m very glad to see that writers are interested in this little app. I love this project and I want to make the app better with every update I’m releasing.

First here a few words to the “Writers App” itself: Version 1.0 was published in February 2011; as you can see this is really a young and fresh project. I’m a writer too, and one day I thought it would be great to have an app in which I can order my thoughts and ideas on my writing projects. I did not find something like that in the App Store, and so I developed it by my own; the “Writers App” was born.

A few weeks ago I published Version 1.2, and still I have a lot of ideas how to make the “Writers App” more useful and even better. I also consider every wish and info that I receive from the users. As I heard that my app is presented here at this platform, I lost no time, registered myself and now I’m here. :slight_smile:

@Mike: Thanks a lot for your great feedback! An export-function for the “Writers App” is one of the things I will release in one upcoming update. The idea to move the content from the Writers App into Scrivener sounds great and I will take a good look at that! I use Scrivener by myself for all my writing projects, so that would be a function I would like very much too! :slight_smile:

The “Writers App” has just started and I’m sure in the next months it will become even better. If anyone here has wishes or suggestions, please tell them to me! I will do my best to integrate the functions that the users need and wish!

Till then I wish you a great time and happy writing! And I hope you enjoy the “Writers App”! :slight_smile:

Best regards from Germany,
Thomas

Best of luck with your Writer’s App. I’ve been using general text apps to take down my on-the-go ideas, but I can see a lot of potential in what you’re developing and it has already won a place on my iPhone’s home page. A well-done, speciality app can almost always beat the socks off a more general one. That’s one reason, among many, why Scrivener is better than Word.