Wword count for multiple scenes

Hello fellow scriveners,

I have a project which is written in separate volumes and I’m trying to determine each volume’s word count. Basically I want to select a folder holding one volume or multiple scenes and get the word count for that but I haven’t had any luck.

Any ideas before I start playing copy pasta into another project? Does scrivener even have that functionality?

If you use the Outline view and enable the Total Word Count column, it will show the total number of words in any branch – any item plus the things nested under it – of the outline tree.

Or, alternatively, the footer area will show the total words for any Scrivenings session or any text selection.

Katherine

Thanks for your response. what i learned is that it comes down to me having to add all selections manually. I actually did that already by using the footer on each section, and that is what i was trying to avoid. lol.
Is there any hope that scrivener might add a functionality for that eventually? word count by selection might be a bit useful for some.

I’m not sure I understand the question. You can create a Scrivenings session from any combination of Binder documents, contiguous or not, and the footer will show the total for that selection.

If you haven’t already, I’d recommend taking a look at our Interactive Tutorial, available from the Help menu. It’s a good overview of fundamental operations like this.

Katherine

This is incorrect.

Scrivener already offers word count by selection, as Katherine pointed out. Select the documents in the binder, put the editor in Scrivenings mode, and the footer will contain the summed word count of all the selected documents.

In the screenshot below, the selected documents Page View and Revision mode are in Scrivenings. Page View is 165 words and Revision Mode is 94 words. Summed, that is 294 words, which is what is being displayed in the footer.

Please note that the documents do not need to be contiguous for this feature to work.

If it isn’t working this way for you, upload a screenshot so we can see what you’re seeing.

Best,
Jim

Well, summed it’s actually 259 words, as you can see in the screenshot’s footer. Lucky for you Scrivener’s math skills are better than mine, :blush:

Okay so first i have to figure out how to get, or why i’m not getting email updates when someone responds. i would have loved to have seen all of this action.
second of all thank you Kewms and Jimrac. I definitely missed some vital info first go round. to sum it up i had no idea what the scrivenings mode was or what it did. i just checked it out and now i need to go study up on it a bit more. i mainly just write in scrivener and it lets me seperate my chapters and track things better than word, but this let’s me know i’m missing out on a lot of functionality.

i will definitely be taking this advice, Kewms.
Jimrac, from a visual learner you are a godsend. thanks so much.

Glad to be of help. :smiley: