You Talkin' To Me?

Despite - or perhaps in accordance with - its title, an entertaining book about the history, craft and uses of rhetoric from Aristotle to Obama, by Sam Leith. A review here.

Do you suggest that familiarity with rhetorical flourishes – perhaps mastery of them – ought to be required of forum posters? (Do I choose correctly between syllepsis and zeugma? Do I know my anaphora from a hole in the sentence?)

Ah me. Back to the old drawling board.

ps

between wot anna wot…anna wot fromma…!!? :open_mouth: :confused: :neutral_face: :frowning:

I thought this was a family forum! :open_mouth:

Down our way we regularly engage in paraprosdokian.

Well I suppose that’s one way to enjoy a Sunday. Does it hurt? :neutral_face:

Only if you’re not into erotema. (And what’s wrong with erotema?) 8)

Do you really expect us to answer that? :confused:

:mrgreen: How do I know?

There’s no answer for that.

No there isn’t, is there?*

*Did I ever imagine I’d end up dangling a chiasmus in front of… a cat?

Isn’t that better than the other … things … you have dangled in front of other cats? Less dangerous to your person too.

Jaysen, great to see you back!

That’s what you say now. Let’s see how long that feeling lasts.

sine dicendo, mate, sine dicendo. :wink:

Well…that didn’t last long…did it…eh? :confused:

Wait, is that one of those eroto-thingies Hugh was talking about?

No…not really. Just par for the course.

Whew, that’s a relief. How disturbing is the thought of eroto-anything between Jaysen and vic-k?

Even aboard a stinking old pirate ship, floundering upon the sea of Literary Endeavour, crewed by an amalgam of: the warped; the perverted; the flotsam and jetsam of Society’s bottom feeders; deviants; miscreants; malcontents and Portlanders…that concept doesn’t bear thinking about! :open_mouth:

Saints preserve us!!
Fluff