Zap Resistant Evil Gremlin

No I navigated into the Scrivener project bundle and opened the native underlying files (Scrivener uses RTF as its native format) directly with a hex editor and VS Code. This is before I opened your project with Scrivener. This is raw underlying data. At the byte level there are no unexpected characters there, there is no gremlin in the documents that you sent. The first document ends 772E207D which is w. } – the } is the RTF markup.

The second document starts 6366302041 which is cf0 Acf0 is the RTF markup and A is the start of Article:

Did you change the appearance setting to test? I can “reproduce” your gremlin visually with Scriveners’s settings, and there is nothing in your raw data, so Scrivener’s editor settings remains the most probable cause…

I uploaded a new project with only one document. I had overlooked that the previous upload had three documents. That’s why I deleted it. The new upload contains only one document, five lines or so, and the gremlin.

You mean in your post 18? That is the project I used, it doesn’t have one doc but two, as the folder is also a document.

Screen Recording 2023-11-02 at 09.07.24

Pressing ⌘1 makes the • appear and disappear…

This post.

Yes, that is the project I used — you should be able to see this from my screenshots and screen recording. There are no gremlins in the raw data, and I can fully “reproduce” the gremlin using Scrivener’s editor, I have documented this with raw hex editing and even made a screen recording (⌘1 toggles Scrivenenings mode) but you seem to not believe me?

I believe you.

“In any event, it can’t be a program feature to display a symbol that looks like a bullet–but isn’t–in the editor which cannot be deleted.”

It obviously is a feature to use a bullet as one of four options in the settings to visually delimit different documents. If you don’t like the bullet, just use a different delimiter…

Yes, this.

If this is a delimiter in Scrivenings mode, then it’s not zappable because there’s nothing there to zap. It’s a purely visual artifact of the specific settings you’ve chosen. It has as much relevance to your actual document as the window border or the scroll bar.

What’s weird is that I always work in the editor, never use Scrivenings mode and nevertheless that feature dropped an unwanted symbol into the editor, that I had no reason to believe was linked with Scrivenings.

Other gremlins showed up as well…at least I learned a new way to delete in this thread, and I’ll have to play around with Scrivenings to see whether it has a place in my workflow.

Working in the editor and using Scrivenings mode aren’t two mutually exclusive ideas.

Maybe you did, unintentionally. If I remember correctly (not at the computer right now), your test project contained a folder with text and inside that folder one document, also with text.

That folder was selected, causing the editor to load both texts, visually separated by a dashed line. The default setting for the alleged Gremlin.