Zooming on footnotes

Hi -

This is such a stupid question, but I have been flailing uselessly for the past hour trying to figure it out myself. On my Mac screen, the footnotes in the Inspector window appear so small that they are almost literally illegible. When I do the zoom function (shift-command-< or >), only the main text gets bigger and smaller – even when my active cursor is in the inspector window!

There must be some way to do this, but I can’t figure it out. I’ve been reading the manual, googling, . . . its driving me crazy! Any help much appreciated.

Thanks, and love love love this product.

Well, you can’t zoom them, but you can change the default display font. Head over to the Formatting preference pane, and check middle section of that pane. This is where inspector formatting is initialised. If you do not have a special font choice for footnotes and/or inspector footnotes, then footnotes will use the “Inspector comments font” setting. Change that to something more legible.

This will only impact newly created notes, however. So to fix the old ones, simply select them all in the inspector with Cmd-A (note you can view many document’s worth of notes by using Scrivenings mode), then right-click on any one of them and choose “Convert to Default Formatting”.

Hi,

EDIT: Ioa beat me to it - he wrote his reply while I was writing this…

You can’t zoom the inspector footnotes exactly (that’s on the list for 3.0), but what you can do is change the font via the Preferences (under “Formatting”). Make the font bigger there, and then select the footnotes in the inspector (you can select them all at once), ctrl-click on them and choose to convert to default formatting.

You can always change the font to something smaller during the Compile process, so there’s no reason to have them small on screen if they are too small for you.

Thanks for the kind words, by the way!

All the best,
Keith

Outstanding! It works! Much appreciated – didn’t imagine I’d get a response so quickly : )

Thanks so much guys, this is a big help.

Thank you so much for this. I’m glad to hear it’s being added to the to-to list.